Who Ships These Days?

Archangel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I haven't been buying and sell for a while and now find out that DHL who I have and account with will not ship T's nor will UPS. I'm waiting for FedEx but am not hopefull.

Do I have to lie or is there a carrier out there for my T's?

Thanks,
Allen

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
I ship exclusively with FedEx and both my sales rep and the airport office where I drop off shipments know exactly what I am shipping. I also am a "certified animal shipper" - although this applies more to reptile shipping and actually is a provision designed for aquatics [fish].

My first question is... Why did you tell them what you were shipping? Don't ask, don't tell. Mark the box perishable, no sun-no heat-no cold and write scientific specimens on it if you have to! If the weather is moderate and you pack well you shouldn't have to write anything on the box at all. You could always mark it "fragile", but I think to shipper warehouse personnel that translates as "kick me hard". (Don't ever write "live plants" as there are more restrictions on plants than anything due to agricultural pest/disease possibilities).

Don't use DHL just because they suck... HARD.

I appreciate the fact that you are trying to operate honestly and have taken the trouble to check regulations, but don't draw attention to the contents (e.g., don't write "live animals") and just ship. There should be no reason for them to ask you what is in the package and if they do... yes, unfortunately you should probably lie ;)

Cheers, michael

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, you just have to lie. I tell them I'm shipping glass figurines. Hey, they're fragile....and legal. ;)

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
hjlantern said:
I haven't been buying and sell for a while and now find out that DHL who I have and account with will not ship T's nor will UPS. I'm waiting for FedEx but am not hopefull.

Do I have to lie or is there a carrier out there for my T's?

Thanks,
Allen
odd...unless DHL has changed their rules since I joined this forum about 2 years ago. They used to be the only shipper who would knowingly take invertebrates (well, T's at least...not sure if it extended to others). I've had stuff shipped to me twice thru them with nary a hitch...so far lol, but I prefer UPS.

Archangel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ouch!!!

I used to be charged about $30 +/- to ship. I have a DHL account and they have changed. I'm goingn through UPS and it's $50 BUCK!! My ass is feeling a bit sore right now and I didn't even get a kiss!! Wow.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
depends how far too...

I just shipped two T's UPS Red from here to Oregon...$35 with a business account. Shipping closer to the midwest states usually runs around $25.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I ship USPS and have not had a problem (I dont tell them whats in the box) and it costs me around 20$

Ronj

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Snipes said:
I ship USPS and have not had a problem (I don't tell them whats in the box) and it costs me around 20$
I shipped with USPS for the first time yesterday. All went very well but I could not track the package as they only update the site every evening. Not much help with overnight shipping. I most certainly did not offer to tell them what was in the box. They did not ask, but if they would have it would have been a piece of crystal.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There should be no reason for them to ask you what is in the package and if they do... yes, unfortunately you should probably lie

Cheers, michael
Personally, if they demanded to know the contents when delivering it to me, I would simply tell them that it is confidential, or none of their business. I'm sure there must be some law against asking the contents of a delivered package. As for undelivered ( something I'm sending rather than receiving ), I'd probably tell them "live harmless animals," or perhaps "non-hazardous biological specimens." I received a T once that was marked "small harmless animal," and it was shipped through UPS. They didn't refuse to deliver the package, but the delivery man did ask, out of curiousity I believe, what was in the box. He did seem a little squeemish/ put off at the answer though, hehe :D .

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use USPS too as do most of the members on this board that I have had dealings with and have only had one package delayed (sent to wrong city) by far the cheapest way to send and pretty reliable 1 mistake out of at least 40 that I have shipped or received not to bad... Greg

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've never been asked what i am shipping, and I never felt the need to tell. I don't write anything on the box, I believe it probably attracts more negative attention than anything.

Archangel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Unfortunatly the post office is slow here so they don't guarantee delivery times. :wall:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
nics said:
how about international shipping?
Use priority mail and tell them you are shipping wooden and glass ornaments ;)

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Venom said:
Personally, if they demanded to know the contents when delivering it to me, I would simply tell them that it is confidential, or none of their business. I'm sure there must be some law against asking the contents of a delivered package. As for undelivered ( something I'm sending rather than receiving ), I'd probably tell them "live harmless animals," or perhaps "non-hazardous biological specimens." I received a T once that was marked "small harmless animal," and it was shipped through UPS. They didn't refuse to deliver the package, but the delivery man did ask, out of curiousity I believe, what was in the box. He did seem a little squeemish/ put off at the answer though, hehe :D .
I believe you're correct that they can't ask, "What are you shipping?" If I'm not mistaken, all they can ask is if the contents are potentially hazardous.

tima

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
becca81 said:
I believe you're correct that they can't ask, "What are you shipping?" If I'm not mistaken, all they can ask is if the contents are potentially hazardous.
True for domestic shipments, but int'l shipments require a customs declaration -- this requires you to list the contents and their value.

marco44

Arachnopeon
shipping

I picked up a package to day,It aririved yeaterday,but I missed it,I had a slip in my box,from usps,it will try again tommorow,which is thur taday,I keep thinking I,ll probally miss this stop to,so I called the # on the slip early soon as they opened,and the lady said she would hold it for me,I went there at lunch time and she forgot to hold on to it,So I said,not thinking that I can,t be home at that time,And Im worried about my package,it has a live speciman in it,all the counter workers and coustmers stoped what they were doing and glanced a look at me!Then the lady said she would bring it to me at walmart where I work,It,s a small town, so I thought cool,Well 4.30 rolled around no t so I took of to get there before the doors closed,when I got there there was a different lady at the counter,and I had to explain,what had happed,so she went to the back,by this time Im thinking,<EDIT>hope this t,s alright,she came back with my box and asked what kind of live creature was in it.I said a big 10 in hairy t ,She said oh poor guy spent way to much time in there,LOL Got him or her out,and it was fine, and very hungry,this was my first dealings with usps,and my first t was fx left it on my door step,AS you might have guessed by now im new at this,so I,ll keep on trying but so far I liked fx better,hassle free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Michael Jacobi said:
Don't use DHL just because they suck... HARD.

Cheers, michael

Yeah, gotta love recieving a box from DHL, they practically huck it at the door and run, I don't think they've ever knocked to let me know that the delivery was there.

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
Fyi ...

hjlantern said:
Unfortunatly the post office is slow here so they don't guarantee delivery times. :wall:

If you use USPS Express Mail, it is always guaranteed (including the time of day). Don't let them tell you otherwise. Also the Express Mail is automatically insured for up to $100.00 in value.

If the package is not delivered in time, then the sender is entitled and guaranteed a full refund of the shipping costs.

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
Brian S said:
nics said:
how about international shipping?
Use priority mail and tell them you are shipping wooden and glass ornaments ;)

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
You can not use priority mail for any International mailings. Priority mail is only good to mail within the USA. International shipments can only be sent Air, Surface or Global.

On another note, if you are referring to mailing them in or out of the US, then shipping International is illegal; unless you have an import/export license.

:embarrassed: