Good day and Bad day

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bad news : 1 of my adult female C. vittatus died :( just got it 2 days ago.

Good news : My baby C. vittatus is just finishing up molting, just a little bit of tail to go. To bad I missed all the rest of it. Sorry no pics, my camera isnt good enough to photograph something that small.

Ryan

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sorry to hear about the loss of the adult, but at least the baby is catching up and will one day be an adult itself. Thats the cyle of things!

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I dont know now, the baby is out of his old skin but missing it's telson. :( . at first I thought it was a gonner, tail straight out but now it has curled its tail back up so hopefully when it hardens it will accept pre killed food.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ryan,

Centruroides as well as many other scorps will accept pre-killed prey. If your's does not, use smaller, slower moving prey items such as mealworms or small crickets with the jumping legs removed. Good luck!

cashewman1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are scorps like humans where if they loose a leg they will sometimes think and feel like they still have it. Would a scorp try and sting prey even though it doesnt have a telson?

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Barkscorpions said:
Ryan,

Centruroides as well as many other scorps will accept pre-killed prey. If your's does not, use smaller, slower moving prey items such as mealworms or small crickets with the jumping legs removed. Good luck!
Well thats good to know Luc, When he hardens up Ill see if he will take pre-killed. And the adult Vittatus is now being perserved.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update : Just went and checked on the baby and he is also dead :( :( . Guess its not my week.

cashewman1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah man, thats a shame, O well hopefully you just expunged all of your bad luck, sorry to hear about the loss man.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well the other C. vittatus seem to be doing well, not to be seen as always. They are great at hiding on bark.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ryan,

Sorry about the losses but glad you still have other "vits" doing well.

I'm pretty sure most, if not all scorps, can detect dead prey with the sensory organs of the chelae. My I2 O. asper are being fed small nymphs of B. lateralis and pre-killed half-grown crickets (approx. 1/2"). What's amazing is that these little pigs (4) will actually devour the entire cricket! LOL

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha, soon they will look like little footballs if they already don't :). The other Vittatus are doing great now only got 5 C. vittatus (3 male, 2 female) Saw a male out and about roaming the bark earlier. Interesting Scorps.