P. Cambridgei in Death Curl...

NeyNey

Arachnopeon
This really sucks...My 6" P. Cambridgei is in what I think is a death curl...I am 90% sure that it is a male (I noticed boxing gloves a few weeks ago). I've had him since he was ~2" and he grew to 6" in about 2 years...He molted about 3-4 months ago and has been vibrant since...I transferred him to a larger tank last month but he hasn't webbed it up like usual yet...Last night (friday night) I came home from work to find him on his back, so I figured he was molting...I came back tonight after work and he was right side up again, in a half death curl...When I moved his tank to get a better look, he kinda moved and stretched his legs out, but he can't walk or stand properly. He hasn't eaten the past 2 times I offered crickets and he usually eats ravenously. The humidity is perfect and I just figured it was time for a molt...What the heck went wrong??? I put him in an ICU and I am hoping for the best...He is still alive, but its breaking my heart to see him struggle! I am going to post some pics later, but I don't want to bother him again tonight...

Does anybody have any ideas about what's going on?? I've never lost a T in a molt or to old age yet, so I don't really know what to look for...

Here is a pic of him last month in his glory!

Last edited:

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If your spider matured out as a male then you should know it's a matter of time. Just like salmon, the males breed and then die. Males occasionally molt past their ultimate molt but it is atypical. I had a mature male P. irminia and we kept him as long as we could and then we finally fed him to a T. blondi. He has more than likely ran out of food stores, his abdomen is probably shrunken, and he walks like he is drunk because he has no more energy. If you have a larger spider I would just feed him to it for a good meal. If you are into doing things more humane, put him in the freezer. Either way he will die soon.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Looks like a mature male to me.

He got the "boxing gloves" at his last molt and his time is probably just about up. Males typically don't live too long after maturing.