?: sand, book lungs, scorps, and ts

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
i tried searching book lungs in the scorp thread and didn't find anything that addressed my ?(s)...first, it is my assumption that the book lungs in scorpions and tarantulas are very much the same, if not identical. is this correct?

i have been keeping ts longer than scorps, and i know its not considered the best idea to keep ts on sand, as it could get caught in their book lungs, as well as be abrasive to their undersides. but at the same time, it is fine to keep desert scorps on sand. do desert sp. of scorps have different features that prevent sand from being trapped in the lungs? is the sand vs book lung in ts more of a precaution than an absolute? i would've figured that at least the ts have many hairs surrounding the lungs which should help shield the lungs.

:?

thanks.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you have access to it, the Journal of Morphology recently put out a paper on morphological changes in Centruroides vittatus. The SEM pics show how tiny and hidden the book lungs are in scorps...

Farley, Roger 2005 Developmental Changes in the Embryo, Pronymph, and First Molt of the Scorpion Centruroides vittatus (Scorpiones:Buthidae). Journal of Morphology 265:1-27.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Graf,

If you're interested - I'll check my other computer later as I think Roger sent me the pre-publication manuscript - just can't remember if I scanned it before my scanner went to crap or it's in my mountains of papers somewhere in the house!

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Luc,

Hey, I sent him the article via gmail shortly before you caught the question. In any case, go scorps!

Christian

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Christian!

Good show, as I only have the manuscript form (final draft) on the computer and the finished article in hard copy.

Take care...