substrate??

NastyNate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok so i hear a lot of people using different kinds of substrate.

but whats the best substrate or substrate mix.

and is there a different mix i should use for burrowers?

thanks
Nate

Lover of 8 legs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use a product called "Cactus Soil". It's manufactured by AllTreat Farms and is marketed by Walmart. It's a mixture of sphagnum peat moss, sand & compost. I've been using it for a year now for all my tarantulas and it works fine for burrowers as well as the others.

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use worm castings and mix it with peat moss (1:1) and my t's have done great on this...they can burrow in it if they want to...and worm castings (pure wormcastings mind you) are sterile already...and they hold moisture really well without getting soggy

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
go to your local store and get a bag of spagnam peat moss and you will be in business for anything

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lover of 8 legs said:
I use a product called "Cactus Soil". It's manufactured by AllTreat Farms and is marketed by Walmart. It's a mixture of sphagnum peat moss, sand & compost. I've been using it for a year now for all my tarantulas and it works fine for burrowers as well as the others.
i couldn't find it on their website. how much does it cost? i was looking for something like that for my burrowing and scrubland/desert species.

Fierce Deity

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
jungle bed

I like the jungle bed stuff that comes in a compressed brick. It expands to a huge amount, and it's only about 7 bucks. Holds moisture and humidity really well if you want it too, and it can be burrowed in as well.
You could also do the classic 50/50 peat/potting soil.

Lover of 8 legs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
kitty_b said:
i couldn't find it on their website. how much does it cost? i was looking for something like that for my burrowing and scrubland/desert species.
I live in Canada and while it's marketed by Walmart, it's a product of Canada (Arthur, Ontario). So it may not be available from that producer in the US. Sorry.
I pay $2 for 5 litres.