Can you de-venom a tarantula?

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Don't worry, I would never even consider it. I like my spiders fully loaded ;)

The reason I'm asking is because I just got into a discussion about it with somebody on a different site who left a comment on one of my tarantula photos. They were under the impression that all pet tarantulas were de-fanged and de-venomed before they could be sold. I told him it wasn't true, and even if it were, Ts can regrow their fangs so there wouldn't be much point. He conceded that the fangs weren't removed but still said "you can devenom them, although I'm told it's complicated."

Well as far as I can see the only way to stop a T producing venom would be to remove the venom glands. And without them surely the T would be unable to feed. Plus the difficulty of performing any kind of surgery on a spider of course. I've told him this, but I think he's still under the impression that devenoming is possible.

I've tried having a look around for any articles relating to the subject. So far all I've found is an entry in a tarantula FAQ which states "A tarantulas venom can be milked for whatever purpose necessary however there is no permanent way to de-venom a tarantula without killing it."

So basically can anybody cite any sources that discuss the topic, or can I just get some definite answers as to whether or not it is possible? Personally I hope it's not. My thinking is if you don't want a venemous pet, don't buy a venemous animal! :D

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
smof said:
Don't worry, I would never even consider it. I like my spiders fully loaded ;)

The reason I'm asking is because I just got into a discussion about it with somebody on a different site who left a comment on one of my tarantula photos. They were under the impression that all pet tarantulas were de-fanged and de-venomed before they could be sold. I told him it wasn't true, and even if it were, Ts can regrow their fangs so there wouldn't be much point. He conceded that the fangs weren't removed but still said "you can devenom them, although I'm told it's complicated."

Well as far as I can see the only way to stop a T producing venom would be to remove the venom glands. And without them surely the T would be unable to feed. Plus the difficulty of performing any kind of surgery on a spider of course. I've told him this, but I think he's still under the impression that devenoming is possible.

I've tried having a look around for any articles relating to the subject. So far all I've found is an entry in a tarantula FAQ which states "A tarantulas venom can be milked for whatever purpose necessary however there is no permanent way to de-venom a tarantula without killing it."

So basically can anybody cite any sources that discuss the topic, or can I just get some definite answers as to whether or not it is possible? Personally I hope it's not. My thinking is if you don't want a venemous pet, don't buy a venemous animal! :D

No, no, no, and no.

Ask him this, is it possible to remove the stomach out of a human and the human to live without help.

No you can not make it work.

There are fangless tarantulas, from bad molts, and most do not surivive. Some make it but the bulk die. After the next molt they regrow the fangs.

No you can not.
thedarkfinder

taorchard1987

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if u took the venom out, it cudnt eat the food, a simple answer is nope ;-)

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
solaceofwinter said:
this is the dumbest rumor of all time. 100% false.
That was pretty much my thought, but I figured I'd sound better coming back with something more like "As stated in this article by this scientist it's not possible" ;)

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i hear that so much it almost annoys me. everyone who sees mine says it immediatly.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Possibility? Yes

Next Question:Why torture a Tarantula? That's a moral decision the keeper must make.

I wouldn't waste time and money preforming an unnecessary surgery

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can you milk a T *like* a snake?

I know it would pointless for “safety” reasons just thinking.

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nate said:

I would assume it's possible, if you can get a T to strike something that can contain the venom. I wouldn't like to try it tho {D

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
milking is very possible, if they dont believe you show them threads about loosing fangs and then regenerating them next molt. could you imagine someone trying to remove venom glands from a T, much less a whole brood of slings? get real! :)

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
solaceofwinter said:
could you imagine someone trying to remove venom glands from a T, much less a whole brood of slings? get real! :)
Why do I see price inflations?

Get your "safe" fangless Rosie spiderlings for $200 each! :D

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, the real question is: do you want it to be an american supermodel ;)?

Lover of 8 legs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
And you call yourselves scientists - NOTHING is impossible. Is it ethical? Show me an ethical scientist & I'll show you one without a research grant! I'm a hobbyist. Stay away from my Ts!!!

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lover of 8 legs said:
And you call yourselves scientists - NOTHING is impossible. Is it ethical? Show me an ethical scientist & I'll show you one without a research grant! I'm a hobbyist. Stay away from my Ts!!!
I couldn't agree with you more.:D

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lover of 8 legs said:
First, please, show me where any person in this thread called themself a scientist.

Secondly, chill out. It was just a question, which you obviously do not want to contribute to the answering of.

I won't go into the 'ethical scientist' thing.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nate said:

Actually it is done fairly regularly. Tarantula venom is currently being researched for possible medical uses. Just ask Elizabeth Mule, a.k.a. TarantulaKid. She has talked quite a bit about her discussions with the scientist (sorry, I forget his name) doing the research.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Milking is possible, its done very differently from Snakes though

The T is knocked out using some gas (ive seem them do it to Daddy long legs on mythbusters, and on animal planet one guy milks T's to study the venom). They then use electric currents to get the venom to drip out. You dont get much but it is possible. Afterwards the T is fine no ill effects.

Tarantula-Kid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Actually it is done fairly regularly. Tarantula venom is currently being researched for possible medical uses. Just ask Elizabeth Mule, a.k.a. TarantulaKid. She has talked quite a bit about her discussions with the scientist (sorry, I forget his name) doing the research.
Dr. Fred Sachs :)worship: ) at the University of Buffalo is studying this. The peptide GSMTX-4 is extracted from the venom of G. rosea. It can be used to treat atrial and ventrical fibrulation and it may be an effective treatment for Muscular Dystrophy. It is totally awesome.

E.

Spiderface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yes of course milking is possible but it only temporarily solves the venom issue until the T simply produces more venom. I think the guy that posed the arguement to the owner of this thread was suggesting that you can permanently make a tarantula "safe to humans" by removing fangs or devenomizing the T in a more permanent fashion. I have had this arguement with many guests in my home and I usually find that these people want to believe so badly that the tarantula can't hurt you that they invent this stuff. I've had people admit that they never actually read or heard of this miracle devenomizing process for T's but that they just couldn't beleive that pets could be sold that could potentially cause you harm. It's like an urban myth created out of fear.

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I’m aware of research of venom I was interested in the collection method. I assumed they took a less humane approach. If anyone has some milking pics I would love to see them.

I’ve seen someone milk a true spider with a long glass pipette. I imagine this technique wouldn’t be applicable for tarantulas.