Arachnoculture didn't ship book or respond to email

wahjeh

Arachnopeon
I ordered Russ Gurley's Tarantulas and Scorpions in Captivity for $12 (paid the extra buck to have it shipped express (2-4 days)) from Michael Jacobi's Arachnoculture site on March 17th and still haven't received it. Even worse than the delay is the fact that he hasn't responded to 2 email inquiries. I'm surprised because reviews of his Spider Shoppe business are good, although the website is currently closed. I'll be filing a claim with Paypal if he doesn't respond by Monday. BTW, I noticed a link in the book review section where you can get this book for $8.95, shipped at www.livingartpublishing.com. Wish I'd have noticed that before I ordered.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Hello,

I cannot address your situation as you have not signed your post with a real name and use an unrecognizable Internet alias. Email is great, but some messages get filtered and if I have not replied to two messages I would suggest that phoning me or even using this site's private messaging would have been a good idea. Please provide me with your name so I can search through the online records for the transaction, and I would be happy to refund your money so you can buy it directly from Russ' site. Or if you just want to PM me with your name and address I'll send it on Monday and toss in his out of print Color Guide I for the delay.

Cheers, Michael

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Arachnoculture Vol.1 No. 4 - ???

Hi,

just want to ask if the Arachnocultre Vol. 1 NO 4 will be published? The last Issue (NO 3) was released over an half year back. As far as i knew should there four issues of this magazin per year published, or?

@Admins: If i posted in the wrong sub-forum, pls remove this post to the best fitting place. :)

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I'm pretty sure it will be out soon. He is basically doing two issues at once so that he can get caught up. So you should get 1-4 followed very quickly by 2-1.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Hello Timo and All,

Issue 4 FINALLY begins to mail today and tomorrow! And as Laura Mentioned, Issue 5 [2(1)] will be following very quickly - it shall soon be ready to print. Then Issue 6 [2(2)] will come out in time for the BTS Exhibition 21 May. I leave for London on the 18th, and knowing how things have gone, I will probably be picking them up from the binder the night before :wall:

I greatly appreciate everyone's patience. I am updating the website this morning with the contents of 1(4) and a teaser of 2(1), plus adding the information regarding the magazine status; basically what the first paragraph of this post reads.

I will be quite honest... I didn't expect the magazine to be so successful and take up so much of my time. I also must admit that once I became heavily involved in the ArachnoCon 2006 project, much of my time away from caring for animals was diverted there.

However, I fully intend to get back on track. As many people know, my spider business has been put into a temporary semi-hiatus so that I can catch up with my other projects including my upcoming instructional DVD and my likely involvement with a book project. This magazine has become a true labor of love and it is very rewarding to get all of the positive feedback I receive and have readers in 30 countries. There are lots of tarantula dealers in the US and I am not necessary there. But I am the only person in the US creating a quality publication dedicated soley to the arachnid hobby. Economically, taking a break from retailing tarantulas doesn't make a lot of sense. But who said I've ever tried to make sense... or money. My rewards come in the form of educating hobbyists and promoting the hobby worldwide.

I appreciate everyone's support and patience.

Cheers, Michael

Last edited:

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I'm really looking forward to the DVD Michael. Will it be available through the Arachnoculture website when it is ready?

wahjeh

Arachnopeon
I'm posting a follow-up so that everyone reading this thread is aware that once Mr. Jacobi became aware of the mixup causing my book order not to be shipped, he quickly and courteously resolved the problem.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But I am the only person in the US creating a quality publication dedicated soley to arachnids.
What about the Journal of Arachnology or American Arachnology, are they not quality publications?

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
lucanidae said:
What about the Journal of Arachnology or American Arachnology, are they not quality publications?
Sorry, I should have wrote "arachnid husbandry" or "arachnid keeping" or "arachnoculture". I will edit, but I think most people understood my point.

Cheers, Michael

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Lorgakor said:
I'm really looking forward to the DVD Michael. Will it be available through the Arachnoculture website when it is ready?
Laura, check your PM box. I can't really elaborate here as this is not the proper form for an advert.

Cheers, Michael