Where can i ask if what spider i caight the other day??

Spider_Devil08

Arachnopeon
i need to know where to ask so that i can post the pictures... can i just paste it here even though this is not the "tarantula" forum and not "any spider" forum? i live in the phlippines and caught five of these spiders a while ago.. :D can i post it here?

how do i post pics by the way? :|

Marilyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the way i always do it, is over www.photobucket.com

upload pics, and then and copy and pste the Img tag,.. under the image into ur post..

sounds hard, but is easy

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is what you found a tarantula? If so, yes, this would be the right place. If it is a true spider, there is a true spider forum and that might be a better place. Not everyone who is familiar with tarantulas is familiar with true spiders and vice versa.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Or you can go to imageshack.us and upload a pic.

Then cut and paste the image link here using the
tags.....

Spider_Devil08

Arachnopeon
i dont know if this'll work, but here it is.... hope it does work and hope you spiders hobbyist can help me.. :D tnx!!

Spider_Devil08

Arachnopeon
its about 4-5 inches... and i didn't realize the legs, its loosing one... but the other four has complete legs, i've checked it... please help me identifying what specific type are they... venomous or not...

i saw them mostly on tress with their web that is strong and sticky...

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Def. not a tarantula. That pic should be posted in the true spider forums a couple forums down from here.

I would say that you have a Golden Orb Weaver a Nephila sp.

Last edited:

Spider_Devil08

Arachnopeon
ok... sorry for my stupidity, is a nephila sp, banana spider and a golden orb weaver all the same? :| if not, are you 100% sure that its a banana spider? :|

ZooKeeper78

Arachnopeon
Almost looks like some specie of Argiope (Orb Weaver) Not sure exactly what specie tho.. Just a Guess....:? Very awsome looking spider! {D

Spider_Devil08

Arachnopeon
its a banana spider right? i've seen the pics, im satisfied with it being a banana spider...

is this spider good to take care of? i mean seriously? i cant see any caresheets for this spider... anyone knows what to feed, needs lighting, etc? facts about this spider, specially caresheets...? anyone?

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not a very good spider to keep, they need a huge amount of space. I read that they need a room of their own since their web is so large.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
waldo said:
Not a very good spider to keep, they need a huge amount of space. I read that they need a room of their own since their web is so large.

I think if you tape up a peice of sewing thread to the ceiling, it will use that as the base of it's web. They don't move that often. You shouldn't need an entire room for it, I'd figure 1/4th to half of the room

Just an idea.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Spider_Devil08 said:
is this good to take care? :|
Hey there!

These are common spiders in our country. They usually build their webs on overhead power lines. They build webs that could span at least 2 feet in diameter. I personally don't know the exact scientific name for this one, but I've kept one in captivity successfully.

I kept the spider in a well ventilated plastic box 10" x 14" x 10", with twigs at every corner. The twigs served as base for the web. Since the spider can only weave web big enough for it to walk on. It was not enough to build web that has the sticky part to trap its prey. I solved the feeding problem by piercing a hook through the cricket's hind legs and then hang it on one of the twigs. This would allow the spider to munch on the cricket. Mist the web, once a week.

I kept the spider for more than a month before setting it free in my garden. It built a home in our mango tree. I will be out this weekend to collect an additional 5-10 more, hopefully they will breed and become a permanent residents of my garden.

They are non aggressive spiders, they don't move fast, but they are fun to watch.

Good luck with your spiders.{D

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've successfully kept Nephila clavipes before, but not any non-US species.
They need plenty of space to build their webs. You may want to try using a large mesh enclosure or even the corner of a screened-in porch. Besides that, they are fairly easy to care for.