Stripe knee

Blackieb06

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey guys just got back from the pet store and got one mean stripe knee i mean DAMN it jump like three inch's off the ground to get a bit at me but i have him in a kritter keeper with a retret used as bark and vermiculite for the substance i am just curious do they like the moist or dry???

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What's a Stripe-Knee? A. Seemanni?

Last edited:

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you found it at a pet store, it's probably an A. seemani. They can be more aggressive than your average G. rosea and are pretty skittish, both of which can be compounded if they are WC. I'd put it on something other than vermiculite, maybe a vermiculite and peat/potting soil mix. They are obligate burrowers so need something that is softer and diggable, and also a good bit of depth and a hide to construct a burrow. I've always kept mine dry with a large water dish.

tima

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pet store seemanis...

Yes...pet stores often sell seemani as "Stripe-kneed Tarantulas." Perhaps the most unusual seemani I've ever seen was one being offered at a local pet store as a "Vieneze Striped Tarantula." They wanted $84.99 for it!!!

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Something tells me they don't have tarantulas that are native to Vienna. Haha, that's funny though.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Blackieb06 said:
hey guys just got back from the pet store and got one mean stripe knee i mean DAMN it jump like three inch's off the ground to get a bit at me but i have him in a kritter keeper with a retret used as bark and vermiculite for the substance i am just curious do they like the moist or dry???
pure vermiculite is not a good idea for a substrate...i've kept mine on regular peat moss for two years now with no ill effects. Did you do any research in to the care of this species before you bought it?

they like to burrow so if you can give it a good 6"+ to burrow in...unless it's like mine and refuses to burrow even if given the chance or you start a burrow. It prefers to dig a small hole in one corner and sit in it and pretend it's in a burrow lol. I keep mine mostly bone dry, might moisten the substrate a bit every few weeks...

Blackieb06

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ya i read up on them it was hard to find what it was sinch it was called a stripe knee but i have my t in a set up with a retret and he/she can go under that but dont assume i am stupid i didnt come here to be told i wasnt doing my job i came here to seek your advice because it really helps me thanks. can i mix peat moss with the vermiculite??

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
<broken link>

rereading my above post the question does come across in a harsher way than intended...I was simply asking a question, not accusing. Sorry about that. four words quickly typed in to the search engine yielded the above results which i think you will find useful...

there are some pros and cons of using pure vermiculite, and some species are pickier than others about what they like...it's often trial and error. I remember reading some bad things about vermiculite waaaay back when i first joined the boards but i've forgotten by now...maybe it had more to do with scorpions. *shrugs* research away :)

Last edited:

ancientscout

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Jump 3 inches??..

I find it hard to believe that any tarantula other than an aboral can "jump" more than a few centimeters off the ground for any reason. They can as I have stated before "launch" themselves off the side of an enclosure downward onto the substrate in a controlled manner. Perhaps you confused its rapid movement with a jump in the conventional sense.

I do not doubt that it may have unnerved you a bit. I am sure it would me and perhaps others. When one is not use to the fast movements of larger arachnids and,even when you are use to their personalities, it can be a bit of an eye opener sometimes. I think anyone that would not admit that would be playing that up a bit. I think it is also true that humans in general are hard wired by nature to generally feel and/or show nervousness or even fear until they over come that.

I'm sure it was an attention getter for you at that time. I hope this does not come across as to harsh. It isn't put forth in such a way.
Ancientscout

Last edited:

Blackieb06

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no your right it did move very quickly maybe it got a hold of him and went into the air a little but it happen so fast i will post a pic of the cage i have him in he ate two crickets already and i really am a little nervous to pick this one up but i am getting a GBB on the 29 of this month other than that

bodar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah i live in canada and i found a A. Seemani for 24 bucks at one petstore and at the other it was 90, huge price jump eh? guess which one i bought?

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Blackieb06 said:
there was nothing on that site
hmmm...was working. type in "peat moss vermiculite mixing" in to the search engine...should yield 4 threads at least one of which address' your question.

out of curiousity...why would you try to pick up the seemani? They're not known for being the most docile, more nervous and skittish (and as you know can be very fast when they want). Same with the GBB...they're not generally known for being handleable, not saying they will bite but they probably will not cooperate. That and if you just got it it most likely is quite stressed out due to the environment change...leave it alone for a week or three first. I'd never attempt to handle my adult A. seemani...no way lol.

Natco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had virtually the same experience (minus the jumping.) It was even the same price. When I got my seemani home it was the nastiest thing in my collection, but it has since calmed down quite a bit. Enjoy!:)

Blackieb06

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no i dont think i will put my hand in there for awhile but i was trying to move him into a cup to get him into another encloser

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ancientscout said:
I find it hard to believe that any tarantula other than an aboral can "jump" more than a few centimeters off the ground for any reason. They can as I have stated before "launch" themselves off the side of an enclosure downward onto the substrate in a controlled manner. Perhaps you confused its rapid movement with a jump in the conventional sense.

I dont know my A. seemani seems to jump he will go from the ground to the top of the cage and hook his little legs in at the top its about a 2" difference from the top of his legs to the part that he hooks into and I never see him walk across the glass I think he is WC they are amazing little critters

elton296

Arachnopeon
Well I know that with my a. seemani, I have to be on my toes whenever I go into the enclosure. He has a nasty attitude !! . I saw him at the local pet store with a bald rump ( told he was already bred and was waiting to die). I past him up and to my suprise, my son brought it home for me. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he does not have long .
But he seems lazy because I have enough substrate in his tank and he would rather hang out in a pot or under some bark! Every night he checks the whole enclosure to make sure that I didn't slip and leave something open. !!

How long does a male live after they breed?????

Last edited:

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
elton296 said:
Well I know that with my a. seemani, I have to be on my toes whenever I go into the enclosure.
ya they are fast little buggers scared me half to deth the first time I brought mine home from the pet store and tried to transfer him he shot up my arm so fast I didnt know what happened to him good thing I had a spotter