LPW's picture thread

lpw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thought I'd share some of the fruits of my recent macro photography craze...

Disclaimage:
1. I'm still new to this, so some of the photos are guaranteed to suck. Just bear with me.
2. None of the spiders have been "scientifically" identified. At times, I will venture a guess as to the species name, but it's just that -- a guess.

First, a Salticid, possibly Naphrys pulex.
Found on a brick wall in St. Catharines, Ontario.

lpw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another Salticid, an unidentified male. Found on a different wall in St. Catharines, Ontario. :)

lpw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gotta lov'em jumpers. Another Salticid, possibly Hentzia sp., found on a tree stump near Niagara Falls, Ontario. This gal (or guy) simply refused to get into focus.

lpw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Arguably the most common jumper around here, Salticus scenicus. Found in a garden in St. Catharines, Ontario, near the aforementioned walls. This one did a nice 360 for the camera.

lpw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
An unidentified Lycosid, found in a yard in St. Catharines, Ontario.

lpw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another Lycosid, possibly a Pardosa sp., found in the same yard. A difficult bug to photograph.

lpw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yet another possible Pardosa sp., found in Milton, Ontario. I found this little guy ballooning off of my shirt. Once on the ground it was fast as lightning -- I was lucky to get a few clear(ish) shots. And yes, the hairy knuckle belongs to me.

Last edited:

lpw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is what I believe to be a Tmarus sp., a so called Bark Crab Spider. Found wandering on a building wall in Guelph, Ontario.

lpw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
jwasted said:
Nice collection of pics. They are pretty good I thought :)
Thanks, and here's some more. Additional proof that our house is part of Salticid heaven...

This guy just caught a delicious fly.

This little one is truly tiny, about 2mm.

And one more, just hanging out on the bricks...