why doesnt she come out.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sice i added the stone den for her, my emp has only came out twice and no very long. The first when I got the ceramic lamp. she laid next to the heat for a while then went back ( one night that i forgot to turn of the lamp) then 2 nights ago to tap the glass ( for like 30 minutes she just tap the glass with her telson). I just misted her, i do it like once a week now cuz the hum. stays high all week long but today it finally droped to 63%. She didnt exactly burrow she kinda made a hole that covers half her body and thats it. I tried to move her to kill what i think might of been a mite and she just wont come out she tries to attack w/o coming out of the "burrow" but im worried she hasnt ate any of the crix or the meal worm ive put in i put in some pill bugs to just to keep tidy i didnt expect her to eat them either but yeah there all accounted for. What do u guys think

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The reason she isnt coming out is because she likes her new home.

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my emps do the same thing. unless you have an infrared heater during the day, they wont bother coming out of their homes. A lazy emp is a happy emp.

PA7R1CK

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Leiurus87 said:
my emps do the same thing. unless you have an infrared heater during the day, they wont bother coming out of their homes. A lazy emp is a happy emp.
Agreed. Mine are in their burrow most of the time. Once in a while at night they will come out to explore or hunt for some crickets.

MEXICOYA415

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup I have to agree with them. Ever since I set my two emps. up in luxury they never seem to come out. They only seem to come out before I go to bed and not for too long either. As far as eating just don't feed them for a bit and they'll eventually get hungry. Iv'e also heard that if you make the enclosure less comfortable (less sub. maybe?) they are more active.

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yeah, too much armor to be scurrying around all the time..haha...

GrungeRock

Arachnopeon
Lol, yeah, that sounds like emperor scorpions. I wouldn't worry to much about it. Having a scorpion that prowls the cage a lot during the day would probably be more of a warning sign of something being wrong that one that hides. Scorpions are nocturnal, they only come out at night, and sometimes not even much of that. A lot of scorpions spend the majority of their life in a burrow or hiding spots in the wild. Also, one way you could try to get them to eat is to take forceps (if you dont have any, I'd recomend you buy some, they come in very handy in scorpion keeping.) anyways, yeah, take the forceps and hold a mealworm or cricket in front of the scorpions chelicarae(mouth parts), maybe hold it very gently against them. This will sometimes coax the scorpion into taking the food. I did this a number of times. However, this can also just bug the scorpion, so make sure you dont do this for too long, just try for a minute or two, then I'd say leave it be for a while.

-D.G.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i know scorps are nocturnal so i dont expect to see it during the day im just worried about it not eating I checj up on it all the time and before the stone den was made she spent most of the time in the log but would come out a lot. I have only seen a dead crix since i got her and if it was eaten it was just a small bite. I mean shes still tiny herself but the cricket was still mostly in tact i cant tell if it was eaten. I dont know thats how my last scorp died but this time its differen. I bought a humidmeter to keep it at 80%-100% humid keep it at 75 F- 100F max. I dont know what to do............:confused: :(

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
emps are known to go on long fasts, I wouldnt worry too much. Try feeding again in a few days. Or it can be an upcoming molt if its not adult.

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
She is fine as previously metioned, if shes dug in and not comeing out shes happy, its when they are out a lot and lieing in the open they are not happy. As for eating, they can go months without food, the longest one of my Emps has gon is 6 weeks, but ive heard them go as long as 3 months, and in general so long as they have water scorps can go 12 months without food. I would sugest leaveing her alone completly for 2 weeks, ensure she has water and its humid. Then introduce a feeder. This will allow her time to cool off, and become confident in her home, she is more likely to feed and come out to play. Try droping the temp at dusk to, All my emps react to a drop in tem by comeing to the mouth of their burrows, or even all the way out.