Light?

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was wondering, can I use different light to observe my tarantulas at night without disturbing them? I am referring to "moonglow" or "black" lights, or even infrared bulbs. I know that snakes don't seem to notice them, but what about T's?

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think if you use a LOW watt moonlight or infrared light it should be OK.

PINK1081

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I installed 2 red spot lights on one side of my t-room (the lights are far enough away from the ts as not to be a problem with heat). When I turn them on at night the ts that would normally run for shelter continue to go about what ever they were doing. Red bulbs and red spot lights are availlable at most any hardware store.
Jim

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i've used the infared lights on my t's for a couple of years now, i just mount them above the tank (with about 2 feet between the lamp and top of cage) to allow for viewing...my t's never reacted to them it didn't seem to bug them at all...i used the 60W bulbs from exoterra

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's pretty much what I was thinking of the red or black bulbs from exoterra. Thanks!

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ErikH said:
That's pretty much what I was thinking of the red or black bulbs from exoterra. Thanks!
Although I've heard long term use of blacklight isn't too good for the tarntulas and scorpions. But if you just use it now and then to view them it should'nt hurt.

K MUELLER

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use a red flashlight, My T's never flinch when I check on them.good luck-Karl{D

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LED lights

i the red LED lights myself, there really bright and dont use alot of power. i have them hooked up to a remote so i can turn them on from anywhere in the room and view from a distance :D

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Red LED lights sound great! Where do you get them? I've only seen the bluish white ones with the flashlights.

angelarachnid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just to throw a spanner in the works:

Moonlight is blue and spiders being mostly nocturnal a blue light would be better.

ME: when the lights go of in my spider room i use a normal Maglight

Ray