Snake Color Morph Question

GootySapphire

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a female Pastel ball python, and a male 100% het for albino ball python...if I bred those two together...what would the babies be called? or considered? and what would be an average price for those be? I just am getting into breeding, so any help or advice would be nice! thanks guys.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since the Pastel trait is a co-dominant trait, a large portion of the babies would be Pastels....in combination with the male being 100% heterozygous for Albino, in theory the offpsring would also be 66% het for Albino although I am not positive that it would be possible in conjunction with the Pastel gene.

Depending on bloodline and quality, the price of the Pastel offspring should be around $500 and up. The normal offspring, het. for Albino or not, would probably fetch somewhere in the $50-$100 range.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
First is your ball a pastel or "super pastel"? Besides looking different the difference being the "super pastel" would be homozygous (two copies of the gene) and all the offspring would be pastels. If it is a normal pastel only 50% would be pastel.

Crossing you 100% albino het with the pastel would give you offspring that are 50% het for albino. David the only time you would end up with 66% het for albino is if he crossed his 1000% het albino with another 100% het albino. The normal appearing offspring would be 66% het for albino.

So putting it all together if you crossed your pastel female (assuming it is a normal pastel) with you 100% het for albino male; 50% of the offspring will be pastel and all of the offspring will be 50% het for albino.

Out of curiosity does anyone know why the pastel trait map to the same locus as the albino trait, i.e. is it the same gene? It doesn't change the genotypes of the offspring but could give rise to cool phenotype if they are different genes.

Again good article on recessive trait genetics and Co-dominant traits

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Crossing you 100% albino het with the pastel would give you offspring that are 50% het for albino. David the only time you would end up with 66% het for albino is if he crossed his 1000% het albino with another 100% het albino. The normal appearing offspring would be 66% het for albino.
Doh! You are correct....I can't believe I didn't catch that myself lol. Math was obviously not my strong subject in school lol.