Grammostola rosea

hediki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey there ok i was wondering whats a good size viv for it. and whats the best substate for them. how often do you feed them (what a good schedule for adult - juvi) and what the heathiest food for them. and can you post a pic or you set up, possibly with the spider in it. thanks

smellyocheese

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the size for the T should be at least 3-4 times the legspan of the spider. but spiderlings shouldn't be kept in an enclosure tht's too large because it makes it difficult for them to find their food and stress the T out.

Substrate wise, I use bone dry rainforest substrate (with coconut husk).

My rosie feeds entirely on crickets. I feed her only once or twice a week with 2-3 crickets per feeding.

Here's my setup for my rosie. In the pic she's about 8cm. now she's 10cm and still in tht enclosure.

hediki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks. im curious wats the dementions of your setup and is that a adult T? and you dont use heat do you? you just realy on you house?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
G. rosea are very hardy tarantulas. They don't really need any special conditions. They prefer their enclosure on the drier side, so all you need to do is provide a water dish. It is always a good idea to provide a hide of some sort, though G. rosea will stay out in the open quite a bit. As long as your house is not unusually cold (less than 65 F for long periods of time) there is no need for any additional heat. They are not known to burrow, so substrate depth is not crucial. A good rule of thumb for enclosure sizes is that it be twice as wide as the leg span and three times as long. You generally want to minimize the height to about equal to their leg span to minimize the risk of a fall. Peat moss or plain potting soil are good for substrates.

Feeding would be the same for juveniles as well as adults. A diet of six to eight crickets a month is quite fine. Generally I feed once a week or so.

smellyocheese

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hediki said:
thanks. im curious wats the dementions of your setup and is that a adult T? and you dont use heat do you? you just realy on you house?
hmm... I'm not home to measure it but it's around 1.5 x 1 feet or so

tht's the T at juvie stage. she's now an adult of 4.5 inches.

I don't have any additional heat source. I live in Malaysia. it's hot enough.

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i had my rosie in a 6x8x10 kritter keeper juvie-adult he was fine... for substrate i just used those compressed bricks that you add water to... bone dry substrate with a full water dish and you will be fine... when i first got my rosie i got sucked into the overated humidity issue, misting is uneccessary IMO... and as windchaser said G.rosea are very hardy... Enjoy!:D

Last edited:

bananaman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's my setup... my rosea is a large adult... she is starting to molt and the darker parts of the substrate are because i had changed the water earlier and spilt some... i use pure peat moss, works great for me... good luck, cheers!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I second Windchaser. I feed mine more than he does, because if I don't, Matthias says I'm "starving them". And honestly with my 4 inch female and my 3 1/2 inch male, they would both happily eat 2 crickets a day if I let them. Once a week, one or two circkets is fine for an adult.