Food too small>?

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are the crickets im feeding my rosea too small? she shows little interest in them and would rather stalk and jump on pieces of cork bark 2wice her size when im redecorating her tank.
*pics*

Puppet Master

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
no those are fine, I like to use Roaches any way they are bigger and better for T's

looking at the pic it looks like she is is premolt, she has dark butt. plus she is big so if she isnt eating for a while a few days to a few months dont worry about it.

neilkane

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
t

i think food is fine maybe t just doesnt want its dinner

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Puppet Master said:
no those are fine, I like to use Roaches any way they are bigger and better for T's

looking at the pic it looks like she is is premolt, she has dark butt. plus she is big so if she isnt eating for a while a few days to a few months dont worry about it.
Do you Really think pre moult? cos she has a dark stripe that someone on the boards said was a heart? she still has pinkness either side of it.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those crickets are fine. There is nothing about her appearance that necessarily leads me to believe she is in pre-molt, but that can be hard to tell on an adult T. Could be she is in pre-molt, could be she has just been fasting, which is normal for G. rosea and other species at certain times of the year, could be she has just been fed enough that she doesn't need to eat for a while. She is pretty plump, so I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. And she is probably jumping at you moving stuff around in the tank because she is being defensive and since you are much larger than a cricket she feels a bit more threatened.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when i say jump imean walk across tank jump onto and walk up,she also will follow my hand around the tank slowly. should i experiment with a locust?, could she be looking for a boyfriend?

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gigus said:
when i say jump imean walk across tank jump onto and walk up,she also will follow my hand around the tank slowly. should i experiment with a locust?, could she be looking for a boyfriend?
Nope, just not hungry. How long has it been since she's eaten? She certainly doesn't look like she needs to so she could go several months or more without a meal and be fine.

You may also want to read this: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=5292

Last edited:

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I've never heard of calling the black stripe on the abdomen a 'heart', I don't believe it anyway... The crickets are fine. And females don't 'look' for boyfriends, they just wait for 'em!;)

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, the stripe isnt THE heart, but the abdomen is where a spiders heart is. random factoid of the day.

tima

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
DanHalen said:
It's true... Just like real life! :wall: :D
True dat. Another similarity to 'real life' is that when the boyfriend comes along, she tears him to pieces!!! :D

Anyhoo, although it's not a guarantee, I'd vote for the premoult theory. While there is a fair amount of individual variation in G. rosea, her carapace looks very dark to me...this is the same way my male's has gone this week (he hasn't eaten in 3 weeks).

That cricket size looks perfectly fine to me.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Leiurus87 said:
Well, the stripe isnt THE heart, but the abdomen is where a spiders heart is. random factoid of the day.
I know that's where the heart is, but u can't see it...

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gigus said:
well she hasnt eaten in 3 months then ate half a >cricket<
Don't worry about it. She is plump and healthy looking. She will eat when she is hungry. Rosies like to fast. I've heard about them fasting for 2 years at a time before. As long as she looks as plump and healthy as she does, there is nothing to worry about. She is lovely, btw, and that cricket size if fine. Just remember, she is a rosehair, the only thing consistant about them is that they aren't.