handing T's with forceps?

Saldarya

Arachnopeon
Can anyone speak to this. Is there a proper procedure so as to protect myself and the T's. Pics would be great!! Thanks in advance.

Robert

Saldarya

Arachnopeon
Thanks Moricollins, but I have reviewed this thread via the search and he doesnt discuss this process, only 'cupping', 'pinching', and 'free-roam' That being said, it is otherwise an outstanding thread.

Robert

slingshot71

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you are referring to actually using foreceps to grasp the T and pick it up, as one would a scorpion, I would have to advise against it. Damage to the tarantula would no doubt result.

If you just want to use them to coax the T toword a deli cup or onto your hand, I would say that it can be done, but something softer, like a foam stain brush or narrow paint brush would be much safer for the T.

Kevin

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As Kevin suggested, I wouldn't try picking up a T with forceps. You are likely to injure the T since the forceps will be too hard and could damage internal organs, and more than likely it will try to wriggle free possibly leading to injury from a fall. But really there is no reason you would need to. Unless you need to change set-ups, there is no need to pick up a T, and then just a little gentle coaxing into a deli cup will do the trick.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I handle my T's I consider 'docile', like my B. albo, G. aerio, C. fasc, and A. avic etc.. but I would recommend cupping aggressive or defensive T's, unless you know what to expect!:D

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No no forceps...

I don't think humans have anything like the manual dexterity and lack of clumsiness required to be able to accurately know how much pressure to apply when picking up a T with forceps.

And the T can ONLY feel threatened, and act accordingly. Probably better not to pick it up unless you have to for its own good.

If you absolutely must pick it up at all, please don't use forceps...

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
MindUtopia said:
...and more than likely it will try to wriggle free possibly leading to injury from a fall.
The above is exactly what I have seen when a clumsy pet store clerk attempted to grasp a Haplopelma sp. with a pair of 18 inch steel tweezers between legs 2 and 4 on the prosoma. The spider was able to get loose from the tweezers and had the agility to run upwards toward the fellow's hand. Granted the pet store clerk was experienced in herp husbandry so he had the calmness and speed to quickly turn the tweezers around so the spider was further from his hands and arms, but the spider nearly fell several feet to the floor and the guy nearly got bit. If this would have been a novice in venomous animals, the situation would have been worse. It would have been much easier and safer for all parties if a cup was just placed on top of the spider when it was in its defensive posture. Keep this in mind when you think that picking a live tarantula up with tweezers or tongs is a safe method. It should only be used when handling alcohol specimens. :)

- Lonnie

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Saldarya said:
Can anyone speak to this. Is there a proper procedure so as to protect myself and the T's. Pics would be great!! Thanks in advance.

Robert
Do you mean handling them for displaying purposes? Such as showing off the spider to friends and family? Cause then I would agree with the above posts. DON'T DO IT.

I have used tongs to "hold" 4 different living Ts, but only as something to use to hold the spider still while I examine sick ts/apply medical care. All 4 of Ts were off the ground for at least a few seconds, and two had extended periods held just by the tongs. Species involved were P. Regalis, H. Lividium, B. Smithi, and A. Avicularia

What I did, in each case was slide the tongs between legs 2 and 3 latteraly, not from above. Gentle pressure, enough to prevent the T from moving, was applied.

Each T was never lifted past it's legspan over the table and delicup. Anytime the T started to squirm it was placed back on the table, and I would regrip.

I found that H. Lividium was very still when allowed to touch the ground, the tongs merely kept it in place. P. Regalis was still ONLY sitting upside down, feet planted firmly on the delicup lid. Neither A. Avic, nor B. Smithi struggled much when I held them, but I was still careful. Both of these Ts were held for extended periods.

CAVEATS

None of the Ts were over 5 inches. I would not try this with a T larger then that. Your arm does get tired, and a T that big may be heavy enough to squirm out of the grip. A few times Ts even this small nearly escaped.

Using the tongs was only done by me in emergency situations, when the risk of the T squirming out and falling was worse then me doing nothing to examine the T or apply care.

Saldarya

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for the comments!! I was looking at this from the point of view of how you might handle a scorp, but I can see that the risk to teh T would be much greater. I have no need, or desire to handle the T, I was just looking to alternatives as the day may come for a re-housing.

It appears the most effectve way would be to simply 'motivate' them gently into a deli cup. It would be intersting if a device could be created that would allow you to coerce them into a container which wold have a door of some sort you could close behind them. Especially for those defensive species that you could deal with at arms length.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Robert

Libertykeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ShadowBlade said:
I handle my T's I consider 'docile', like my B. albo, G. aerio, C. fasc, and A. avic etc.. but I would recommend cupping aggressive or defensive T's, unless you know what to expect!:D
You WOULD recommend cupping an aggressive or defensive T, ShadowBlade?

My G. aureostriata is the ONLY T in my collection that would even fathom letting me use the cupping method, the others would gladly turn me into a pin cushion if I were to try. I rely heavily on forceps (not for handling, mind you) for maintaining my agressive T's, feeding, moving items, etc.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Libertykeeper said:
You WOULD recommend cupping an aggressive or defensive T, ShadowBlade?

My G. aureostriata is the ONLY T in my collection that would even fathom letting me use the cupping method, the others would gladly turn me into a pin cushion if I were to try. I rely heavily on forceps (not for handling, mind you) for maintaining my agressive T's, feeding, moving items, etc.
Yes, I would, how big of a cup u talking about?

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I think Shadowblades idea of cupping and Libertykeepers idea are different.
Cupping to me is cupping your hand over the T. I think shadowblade is thinking of placing an actual cup over the T.
I was horrified when he said to "Cup" aggressive Ts :D lol Glad he/she? means a cup!!

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
OldHag said:
I think Shadowblades idea of cupping and Libertykeepers idea are different.
Cupping to me is cupping your hand over the T. I think shadowblade is thinking of placing an actual cup over the T.
I was horrified when he said to "Cup" aggressive Ts :D lol Glad he/she? means a cup!!
Yeah, sorry 'bout the miscommunication.
('He' by the way. LOL.)

Libertykeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I see, ShadowBlade, LOL. You had me worried, I was thinkin' "This Guy is either NUTS, or has an incredible tolerance for pain" {D At first reading the post I had this visual [hand in tank] "C'mon OBT we're goin for a ride" ;P

{D Can you imagine, it'd take 0.2 seconds before she was latched securely to my face!! {D

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Libertykeeper said:
I see, ShadowBlade, LOL. You had me worried, I was thinkin' "This Guy is either NUTS, or has an incredible tolerance for pain" {D At first reading the post I had this visual [hand in tank] "C'mon OBT we're goin for a ride" ;P

{D Can you imagine, it'd take 0.2 seconds before she was latched securely to my face!! {D
"oh well, yeah, sometimes when I'm bored, I just grab my OBT, and hold on real tight... LOL" No, I definately don't (hand)cup T's like that. I usually either handle them or cup them. There's a definate line between 'em.:D

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Libertykeeper said:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!