a good scorpion to get

gio23

Arachnopeon
i have 3 emp and two rose hair spiders i was lookin in to gettin another scorpion and spider but i cant make up my mind on wat to get can yall help me out thank u
ps sumthing i can carry

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you want to be able to handle it, think of a heterometrus species (in particular laoticus) or a hadoegenes (maybe troglodytes?)

gio23

Arachnopeon
talk to me in common names cuz i didnt understand a work lol

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
gio23 said:
talk to me in common names cuz i didnt understand a work lol
The problem with common names is that there are millions of them and you could almost say that every individual sold at pet shops has it's own particular common name ;). Especially when trying to establish if a certain scorp or T is dangerous, handlable or what requirements it has it's more than good practice to stick to the scientific names since should you pick up the wrong scorp and treat it wrong or take a greater risk than would be advised, it could well end with a lot of pain.

So my advice instead is, eventhough it may be confusing in the beginning, learn the scientific names instead. The rewards are great... well... kinda.. well, at least it's a lot more practical and safe ;) :)

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha .... my problem is directly opposite! hahah i dono wat scorpion you are refering to if you tell me theri common names! i only understand the scientic names! ahhahaa ;P

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Scorpfanatic said:
haha .... my problem is directly opposite! hahah i dono wat scorpion you are refering to if you tell me theri common names! i only understand the scientic names! ahhahaa ;P
I'm like that, and its frustrating telling some people common names are useless.

Scientific names are really easy to pick up, once you've got the families sorted you should be fine. Most shops will have the scientific names on (not always the full ones, you'll find things like heterometrus spp some of the time) but its pretty simple :)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
im still waiting for my giant arabian dog killer, or my asian tropical vietnamese malaysian chinese dust scorpion ;)

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh and sure youre waiting for your giant brown indian yellowleg scorpion to give birth! and your drawf bark lobster scorp jus gave birth right! hahaha im having fun... ;P ;P ;P

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
haha "dwarf bark lobster scorpion"

im keeping that name :p

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
not forgetiing the mini dwaft bark lobsterings on her back! hahahah damn cool im wating for more pics from you...{D

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
dwarf bark lobsterings! haha I wonder how they taste

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
haha, dwarf bark lobster lol. good one!

african yellowbelly wart scorpion.

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
canadianscorp said:
african yellowbelly wart scorpion.
I have one of those, there are really neat, but are defensive.;)

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
dangerprone69 said:
Hasn't anyone seen the African Goliath Babyeater?
I heard from a mate that one of his mates sisters friend lost 4 babies to one of them :(

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ScorpDude said:
I heard from a mate that one of his mates sisters friend lost 4 babies to one of them :(
Are you serious? Or is this one of those I heard from a friend of a friend of a firend of a friend... ?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Hmm... African Goliath babyeater, sounds familiar...
Oh! That's right, I just got an African Goliath Babyeater Eating Dwarf Bark Lobster scorpion..:D

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ShadowBlade said:
Hmm... African Goliath babyeater, sounds familiar...
Oh! That's right, I just got an African Goliath Babyeater Eating Dwarf Bark Lobster scorpion..:D
Now that is one nasty bug. And no, this is not one of those "I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend..."... this is true. Its been confirmed in CNN. :( Sad but true.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
sweetmisery said:
Now that is one nasty bug. And no, this is not one of those "I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend..."... this is true. Its been confirmed in CNN. :( Sad but true.
Yes I have a picture for proof!!
(edit: got rid of the pic)

Last edited: