Albino?

bodar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
is there such thing as a albino T? that would be awsome!!!!!

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wondered this before too, but it is not possible for a tarantula to be albino, it has something to do with light reflecting off them, I forget the actual scientific explanation:eek: . I whish it was possible for them to albino that would be cool!

This was from my albino tarantula question thread that answeres the question
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=618854&postcount=9

Last edited:

ShadowSpectrum

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Albinoism is the lack of pigments. Tarantulas' exoskeletons don't have pigment. The cuticle in the exoskeleton gets its color from its structure rather than pigment.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the reason why there arent albino T's (or insects for that matter) is because the color of there cuticle is in part due to its structure,rather than pigment.(i read too much,lol)

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ShadowSpectrum said:
Albinoism is the lack of pigments. Tarantulas' exoskeletons don't have pigment. The cuticle in the exoskeleton gets its color from its structure rather than pigment.
same book huh shadow?...

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Albino Crickets?

I have never seen an albino T, True spiders, well some are Light colored but
they don't appear to be true albino. Now there is one place I buy crickets from
and occasionally I have gotten what appeared to be an albino cricket. Over
the past tear I recall perhaps at least a dozen of these crickets. Is this possible?

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Those crickets were newly molted I'm sure
Im with Brian.
This is an example of a post molt roach, like a cricket ..looks like an albino.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
yea, its the same as how/why a t looks very light right after a molt..then when it hardens up, the color is there.

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

here are indeed Tarantula "albinos" bred. I had whitish Cyriopagopus schioedtei before 4 Yeras ago (see below and here: VON WIRTH, V. (2003): Ungewöhnliche Farbabweichung bei Nymphen von Cyriopagopus schioedtei (Thorell, 1891). DeArGe Mitteilungen 8(5): 30-31). Furthermore there is an article in the comming issue from the ARACHNE Magazine which is about "albinotic" Holothele incei.

Cheers, Volker

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Bfore i didn't think it was really possible, but now it sounds interesting. Gonna have to look into that. Even though it wouldn't be true albinism.
I have a Holothele incei. (but it isn't a albinotic one)...

Last edited:

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are you sure there not doctored pics? It would be extremely difficult to breed just for cuticle structure...

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have seen photos of moths with more melanin in their wing scales so as to make them appear black, I am not sure if this is the same principle though. If it is, it would seem that less pigment should also be a possibility.

Steffen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
CFNSmok.PL said:
Real albino will have to have red eyes. :?

Smok
Albinos have red eyes because of the bloodveins in their eyes. So no red eyes for spiders or anything like it. :)

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

BTW, my picture is definitely not a fake, because I have the "albinos" preserved in alcohol here in my collection! I think Martin Huber will show some more interesting pictures of this "albinotic" Cyriopagopus during his lecture about keeping asian Theraphosidae because of the ArachnoCon 2006 in San Antonio! Unfortunately - in contrast to the Holothele "albinos" - the Cyriopagopus were not able to survive. A friend of mine bred also this "albinotic" form from Cyriopagopus schioedtei but his weren't also not able to survive. Possibly there were more mutations in the genes of this individuals than the organism could accept for survival!

Cheers, Volker

Last edited by a moderator:

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
VolkervonWirth said:
Hi,

BTW, my picture is definitely not a fake, because I have the "albinos" preserved in alcohol here in my collection! I think Martin Huber will show some more interesting pictures of this "albinotic" Cyriopagopus during his lecture about keeping asian Theraphosidae because of the ArachnoCon 2006 in San Antonio! Unfortunately - in contrast to the Holothele "albinos" - the Cyriopagopus were not able to survive. A friend of mine bred also this "albinotic" form from Cyriopagopus schioedtei but his weren't also not able to survive. Possibly there were more mutations in the genes of this individuals than the organism could accept for survival!

Cheers, Volker
LOL arent they albino because Whatever they have been preserved has bleached them?