Southern California Beetles

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here are a few beetle photos from the last year. I'm going to make an effort to photograph more beetle and more invertebrates in general from now on.

Cotinis mutabilis - Green Fig Beetle

Poyphylla decemlineata - Ten-ilned June Beetle

Trichiasida sp.

Scyphophorus yuccae - Yucca Weevil

Trigonoscuta sp. - Dune Weevil

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
awesome!

i think i caught two of those ten lined june beetles one time and put one on each of my shoulders and walked around with them on for about an hour

if i poked them the beetles would hiss pretty loudly.

i actually went a bought cigs with them on my shoulders. eventually one flew away and i put the other one on a bush by where i found it.

good times

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Heheh. Yep, their hiss is actually fairly loud. :) I think the one pictured is a male. If i recall correctly, the males are the ones with the little horn looking projections. The horns are actually made up of several feather like projections that separate. I wish I could have taken a photo of the the feathers separated. It suprised me the first time I saw it. I initially thought the horns were solid.

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
GQ. said:
Heheh. Yep, their hiss is actually fairly loud. :) I think the one pictured is a male. If i recall correctly, the males are the ones with the little horn looking projections. The horns are actually made up of several feather like projections that separate. I wish I could have taken a photo of the the feathers separated. It suprised me the first time I saw it. I initially thought the horns were solid.
Yes the beetle you have is a male(the "horns" are actually feathered antenna used for picking up females hormones). Do you breed any of these beetles?

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Scolopendra55 said:
Do you breed any of these beetles?
No I have yet to try my hand at breeding beetles. I don't have the room or time for any more projects. I also don't have a ready supply of decomposing wood. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot someday. I would make sure to have a nice sized backyard pile of decomposing wood before I would try my hand with the beetles.