does B. smithii want to burrow?

Western Skies

Arachnopeon
I recently acquired a female B. smithii from a friend - appx 3 to 4 years old. She came in a critter keeper about a foot long, and around 8 inches wide. Doesn't seem big enough for her - she's around 3.5 to 4 inches. The substrate she's on now is a polished pebble - like something in the bottom of a river! :eek: I just don't think she could be happy because she's not webbing and spends all her time with her head in one corner.

I just feel awful for her, but am afraid to mover her right now because of the recent stress of getting accustomed to my humidity, temperature, etc.

Would a 20 gallon tank be too big, and if I put her on peat should I give her enough to burrow? Thanks!

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The enclosure you have is fine as far as size goes. The substrate is not though. I would recommend using chemical free potting soil or peat moss. A general rule of thumb for terrestrial tarantulas is that their enclosure be approximately three times their leg span long, twice their leg span wide and no more than one time their leg span from the top of the substrate to the top of the enclosure. B. smithi will not burrow often, but you should provide a hide for it. Make sure you also provide a water dish as well. I highly recommend that you change the enclosure ASAP as the conditions that it currently is in are substandard.

Western Skies

Arachnopeon
Thanks Wind Chaser. Do you buy moss at local greenhouses/nurseries? How can I be sure there is no chemical on it?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, I buy my peat moss at local home improvement centers. I buy large bales of it though. If you have a single tarantula, I would recommend getting a small bag from someplace like Wal-Mart or Target. There is a brand called Schultz's which has been very good. With peat moss, most will be labeled as 100% peat moss. If anything has been added, it should be indicated on the label.

Western Skies

Arachnopeon
Well, she's changed (I assume she's a she) onto Peat Moss. I'm convinced she hates it, because she has put one or two feet on the new sub, and then quickly crawled up to the lid of her enclosure and stays there. This "looks" like a more natural type of bedding for her, though so I I hope she gets used to it soon. Thanks for the advice! :p

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Western Skies said:
Well, she's changed (I assume she's a she) onto Peat Moss. I'm convinced she hates it, because she has put one or two feet on the new sub, and then quickly crawled up to the lid of her enclosure and stays there. This "looks" like a more natural type of bedding for her, though so I I hope she gets used to it soon. Thanks for the advice! :p
Relax. it usually takes tarantulas a few weeks to settle into their new environments.