A. Metallica questions - premolt and temps/light

pgwalker73

Arachnopeon
I had a few questions about my A Metallica. I got her over a month ago, and she is about 4 inches in leg span. She ate about a week after I got her, but has not eaten since (which would make it about 35 days since she ate). I understand this could be premolt, but wanted to see if anyone knew how long they often fasted before a molt (and is there a point I should worry).

My other question is the temperture and ambient light. The enclosure is about 65-68 at night and from 69-74 in the day. Are these temps adequate? Humidity is 70-80%. The enclosure is also in a large cupboard, where it gets very little light. Air (and some light) can flow between the doors of the cupboard as there is a fairly large gap between them when closed. Do T's need ambient light or a photocycle, or are they ok with being in the dark (or near dark) all the time. I have 2 G Pulchras in the same cupboard (it's very large) and they both seem quite happy, and are eating well.

Thanks for any input.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She could be in premolt, though it's also not unusual for T's to fast during certain times of the year. What size enclosure is she in? If it's too large, that could also be a reason why she is not eating. Your temps and humidity are fine, though the cupboard idea might not be the best. Anecdotally, Avics need a good bit of ventilation and I would imagine that being kept in a cupboard isn't the best for generating air flow. I also think it's best to have a natural light cycle if you can. Is there a way you can open it during the day and then close the doors at night? This would be easier than having to move her altogether.

Linda Landsman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My avics, purpurea,and versicolor, had been fasting for about a month. The purpurea, who is about 3.5 inches, just molted today. My Versicolor, about the same size, maybe 4 inches, is still fasting and sitting in her cone web. I think she is going to molt too. I think the bigger they are, the longer it takes to molt, and the longer they fast. As long as she looks healthy, plump, I am sure she is fine.