G. Rosea and pinkies question???

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have a simple question.....i have a mature male G. rosea that measures a little over 5 inches (12.7cm)...a local pet store sells LIVE pinkies for feeding reptiles (live animals for food are legal here in Alabama, USA)...the question is this: Will my G. rosea be able to kill and eat a pinkie or is he too small and not venomous enough??
to the best of my knowledge (i got him second hand so i dont know what the previous owner fed him other than crickets) he has only been on a diet of crickets...and he hasn't eaten in a couple of weeks...

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I feed my G. rosea pinkies evey now and then. I've found some will eat them and some won't. It's kinda trial and error.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i guess i am going to buy one and try it......ill let you guys/gals know the outcome...if the spider doesnt eat it i guess one of my 6 cats will take care of it!!!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I feed mine thawed pinkies, since feeding live grosses me out too much. the downside of that is that there are some of my tarantulas that won't take them if they are not moving. Some, however, are total pigs and will eat anything!

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah I left that part out :) Its really sad. They scream for like 45mins to an hour! That's why I leave the house after feeding them pinkies ;)

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got two G. rosea about that size or smaller that both ate pinkies recently. Just make sure you take the left over bits out soon after they are done. Pinky left overs smell a bit more than the left overs of crickets.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
YIKES!!! i just thought of something.....if i feed my spider a pinkie, will it warm him up to the idea of biting me when i occasionally handle him (since he may associate a warm hand with warm food...i.e. pinkies)??:?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by kosh
YIKES!!! i just thought of something.....if i feed my spider a pinkie, will it warm him up to the idea of biting me when i occasionally handle him (since he may associate a warm hand with warm food...i.e. pinkies)??:?
No more than you'd be apt to bite a cow after eating a hamburger... Okay, I'm kidding. That is a good question. I know from my experience with snakes, as long as your hands didn't smell like mice (or other prey items) you were generally in good shape. (unless it was a defensive strike) So I guess the question would be a matter of how the T detects its food. Smell? Sight? Heat detection? Tactile sensation? Any thoughts from the gallery?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I feed my spiders one pinky or fuzzy about once a month. It doesn't change their attitudes at all. I still handle most of them (well, the docile ones) with no problems at all :)

-Bryan

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed many of my t's rat pups....more meat on em, most of my t's will eat them, some won't. you will have to try it and see for yourself with the pink mice.
Ed