Best ways to grind up dog food...?

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello all, I am starting to get a little low on my dubia roach food, which I make myself, but since last time I made it I went through 2 coffee grinders, I was wondering if there is one better brand of coffee grinder than another. I may have just burned the motor out in each one by doing too much grinding at a time.

My food consists of -

Generic dog food
Generic cat food
Tropical fish flakes
Some brown sugar

Any ideas on how best to grind this stuff?

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Evil Cheshire said:
Have you tried a mechanical coffee grinder?
:clap: Great advise Evil Cheshire those are the best $12 you could spend, I have used one for the last few years. So I too would have to say a coffee grinder would work well not to mention that you could just put all the ingredients in and have it ground and mixed at the same time.

Jon Insect714

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the tips, but on eBay I pretty much only saw electric or antique grinders...no modern mechanical ones...suggestions...?

Thanks again!

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Last edited:

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I put all my ingredients in a plastic ziplock bag and hammer the crap out of it :D

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
coffee bean grinder

Just make sure not to buy food that is to large or it doesn't work as well. I also use fish food, small amount of cat food, oats, bran, bee pollen, baby cereal, and to many of darn things to list!!!!!
James
www.blaberus.com

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Erg, guess I will have to do a bit more research here :confused:

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Grinders

You want something that can grind all day long. You want something that can chew through anything and take a pounding without batting an eye like that cute little number at Starbucks. You want a restaurant/industrial grade grinder. Therefore go to a restaurant supply place or look for the manufacturer of the grinders in your locale starbucks. Wow I just realized I recycled the first two sentences from a different subject!{D {D if you know what I mean!

Digby Rigby
DigbyRigby@exoticfeeders.com

Safe sex means no witnesses!

Israel2004

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use a old fashion meat grinder, bought at the local Amvets.
Go to any local Amvets, Salvation army, or similar store and you'll find one.
I swear everyone of those stores around me has at lest one sitting on the shelves for no more then 8 dollars.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i've been using a pair of plyers, just crushing dog food while i watch tv.

time for me to upgrade, haha.

rag

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i take two spoons and out one or two dogfood pieces in between them and crush them... ill try a ziplockbaggie and two bricks next time {D

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Evil Cheshire said:
Shelob...you get the problem taken care of yet?
Hey not really, trying to stretch my food as far as I can lol

jw73

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't grind dog food for roaches and they eat it. I think they don't need grinding food.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Scolopendra55 said:
I put all my ingredients in a plastic ziplock bag and hammer the crap out of it :D
Being of a more genteel nature, I put all my ingredients in a plastic ziplock bag and with my hammer, gently tap tap tap.
It, too, works. ;)

{D {D {D {D {D