Allergic Reactions

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My fiancé always forgets to mention things that are important... like his allergy to penicillin. :rolleyes:

Well, last night I learned that he also had a significant reaction to a wolf spider bite when he was younger. His uncle took him to the hospital because his entire leg swelled up.

Is it safe to assume that he is allergic to tarantula bites, especially the more potent (pokies and baboons)? :?

I've always done all the handling, packing, feeding, and relocating on my own, so that won't be an issue. But I guess it's just something I have to keep in mind if someone escapes from their enclosure.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
No, the venom make up of wolf spider is very different to that of tarantulas that being allergic to one does not mean he is allergic to the other.

Also it is unlikely to be allergic to t venom because it consists mainly of small peptides, too small to illicit an immune response. There are as lot of threads that deal with that issue (maybe mori will post the links :}, I'm too lazy to at the moment, sorry).

Just in case make sure you have a large life insurance policy out on him. ;)

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha, ironically, we do have a policy. ;P

though i'm definitely the one who gets hurt more often. not spider bites.... just general accidents and mishaps. :8o