Egg sac + mold = ?

demicheru

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok - i've got an avic avic that out of the blue produced an egg sac. It was given to me after being purchased as a wild caught, so it could very easily be a healthy sac. The spider is in a tall narrow container, and the spider has "coccooned" itself and the eggsac in. The coccoon connects to the lid. All of this brings me to the problem. I've been checking up on it once or twice a day (my first sac) and today noticed a fair bit of mold, including a mushroom (!) of some sort. I hadn't done any misting and had removed all of the dead crickets when i saw the old girl spinning what I thought was going to be a molting hammock.

I believe the sac was produced somewhere between the 20th and 23th of this month, putting it at somewhere between 7 and 10 days old.

Everything I've read leads me to beleive that avics are good moms and very unlikely to just up and eat the sac at the disturbance, but before I open the jar up, I thought I would get some feedback. Should I open the container to get the mold cleaned up or leave the spider alone for a few more days? Opening the lid will open up the coccoon which I would prefer to avoid, but the mold seems to have gotten a little beyond what I normally would expect.

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I dunno, I would think the mold should be cleaned out as the slings seem to be susceptible to mold. I can only suggest how to go about opening it if you do. If the lid is flexible, open it from the oppisite side. Either way, lift it up enough to clear the lid and drag the lid against the lip, so the opening closes up. (if that makes any sense...)

demicheru

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Arlius - thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it is a twist off lid. I might be able to try something along those lines though - just kinda try to twist is back shut. My main concern was the slings when they get ready to come out. I think maybe tomorrow afternoon (when I've got more time and am not tired) I'll go head and open it up to clean it out.

Thanks

-philip

Icarus

Arachnopeon
i would think its better to disturb your T than actually let the mold grow beyond what it is and possibly harm mother and the slings when they do come out of the sac but ive had no experience with a sac so im just taking a guess. Either way goodluck with it :cool: