Largest Prey of Spider in the Wild

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Babie birds and small Geckos, typicaly prey 10-15 cm has been taken in cpativity, prekilled though

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A small bat was found being eating by an Avicularia sp. by Rick West.

big-n-hairy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I once saw a show with an L. parahybana eating a poisonous snake. Wish I could remember the snake. keep thinking it was a fer da lance.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
lucanidae said:
A small bat was found being eating by an Avicularia sp. by Rick West.
Yeah, I remember that in the book "Spineless Wonders"

tima

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Philth said:
Yes. There have certainly been reports of this. Although it obviously depends on the size of the snake.

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive heard reports of S.crassipes eating large rats upto 1ft long:? and large rat skulls found in their burrows

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
The full details on Phlogius crassipes eating footlong rats are as follows: I found a recently killed rat (thanks cat) that measured about a foot long including the tail, I had seen rat skulls in the burrows in the wild before and wanted to see what would happen. So I placed the rat about a foot outside of the burrow entrance to one of my big postmoult Phlogius with a legspan of about 18cm or so. She came out, grabbed the rat by the head and dragged it into her burrow, which was awesome to see, the rat must have wieghed more then 4 times her weight, but she had no problems carrying it. Phlogius crassipes are one of the very few animals in the world capable of capturing and eating the cane toad, Bufo marinus and seem imune to their toxins(in press). The ecological importance of the Australian theraphosid in this regard could ensure heavier protection for them in no time.

I would have no reason to doubt a large Phlogius could possibly take down something a lot larger then themselves.

There are several reports from farmers losing guinea fowl chicks to adult Selenotypus plumipes. In one of the reports are images of the dead chick, the spider and a ruler showing the size of the bird (The Emu ornithological magazine 1919, 1920). This was of particular interest to the authors of the articles as they were avid bird fans and found it most disturbing ;)

Cheers,
Steve

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
big-n-hairy said:
I once saw a show with an L. parahybana eating a poisonous snake. Wish I could remember the snake. keep thinking it was a fer da lance.
yeah, i think it was the red haired guy from Animal Planet. Steve Austin? I loved that one too. Imagine, a fer-de-lance?

So, super-venomous snakes, baby birds, 12-in tongs...T's try to take it all down!:D

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rick West also have a pic of a Chromatopelma catching a hummingbird.