land snails??

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
a friend of mine is looking for "land snails".are there any preticular land snails that were once sold for research or the pet trade??are they still available?are they even legal to aquire?where can he find these.?..thanx again

FourDeadFish

Arachnopeon
In the United States, I believe the USFW and/or USDA outlawed the possession, sale and interstate transport of all species of land snails (without research premits) as potentially "Noxious invasive species".

You won't see them (legally) in the US pet trade.

Later,
Paul E. Turley

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Fourdeadfish (interesting name) I believe that pertains only to the african giants.

And controlled strictly, they are. The USDA WILL bust down your door if they have reason to believe you have one.

However, I do believe that there are legal, native species.

FourDeadFish

Arachnopeon
I thought the ban is a bit broader than that, but I am not certain. I'll have to look it up (see link below). I do know they recently toughened the laws regarding aquatic species of snails. As of this year, all species of SA apple snails (save one) require permits for importation and interstate transport.
See this link:
USDA Ban on Aquatic Snails

I found these on a google search for "land snails USDA".
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/permits/plantpest/faqs-import-snails_slugs.html

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley

The username is related to my "other" hobby. I have a fishroom with (currently) 24 aquariums in it (14 snakes as well! too many hobbies, too many interests!).
I have also developed (or am developing) a couple aquarium products under this business name.

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Especially in florida where they have caused crop damage.

what about for human consumption? i have had snail or dinner in usa, ar ethey farmed there or shipped frozen?

selling fish products witht eh name "FourDeadFish"? {D nice.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my friend is doing research.its totally legit.but how does he go around to getting these,,,legally?