Sponges

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
question for all you experienced keepers out there.

I recently had an argument over sponges with someone, and i would like to see who is right...sorry if this is anoying you guys with these practically pointless threads.

Are sponges ok to use for tarantulas?
do you/have you used sponges for any type of tarantula?

i have used spongoes for my rosie for 5 years now, and never had a problem. the girl in which i had this argument with insists i know NOTHING about tarantulas, i dont keep mine right, dont do my research, and for not putting sticks into my avics cage....

can someone tell me if im right by doing this? or is she right?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sponges are not a very good idea because they readily harbor bacteria and other nasties. Tarantulas are quite capable of drinking from an open water dish. There is no good reason to use a sponge.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sponges don't do anything for your tarantula. Well, except raise the possibility of bacteria growth. Tarantulas don't need a sponge to drink from as they have a pretty efficient sucking stomach. Most people don't use them for these reasons. I mean, imagine trying to drink from a sponge yourself....especially one that's been sitting in a water dish collecting dirt, mold spores, and bacteria for the past five years. And don't forget about spider poo! :)

I do know of one person who's used a sponge in the water dish for his G. rosea for years with no problems but he cleans it or replaces it very frequently. Not something I'd do though.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
While I am far from an expert, I do have to interject some thoughts.

So long as the water dish is shallow enough to prevent an accidental drowning, what would be the point of a sponge exactly? It doesn't sound sanitary to me at all. I've used sponges in the past with feeder crickets and in no time at all was it all 'gunkified' and not fit for use. So if I'm not going to use it for $.10 crickets why would I use it on a $30+ spider?

As for the other "stuff"...why would you NOT put a stick into an Avic's cage? They're arboreals, are they not? They need a place to build their web from, and a place to sit high up without having to exert the effort to stick to the side of the cage all the time.

Sounds like a dull existance for a spider who spends its life in the nooks and crannies of trees. It'd be like keeping canaries in a cage without perches. My two new Avics wander around their cages, but always go back to the cork bark to sit for a spell before wandering some more.

And its funny how those who take the most offense to being called out are indeed in the fault. I don't usually mind people telling me I'm wrong, I like to know it in most cases so I can rectify the situations that made them think that in the first place. But it sounds as though you don't have a grasp on husbandry skills yourself, but are trying to edjumicate others, which is not cool. I'd rather be quiet and knowledgable than loud and an ignoramus, but that's just me. =)

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aside from the bacteria and other random filth sponges attract, I notice they are almost exclusively used for shipping to maintain humidity in wild-caught specimins. Additionally, petshops tend to use sponges both because they don't know any better and because it seems more presentable. The shipped specimins generally web the sponges over anyways, so I can't imagine they are anything but a nuscience to the T.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I didn't notice your question about sticks, but some type of structure for arboreal tarantulas is recommended. Many folks use cork bark. This allows them something to climb on as well as provides a structure to create their tube web in.

Fullstop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If the dish is too deep, I put gravel in it to raise the level. The only thing I've used sponges for are hermit crabs and even then I hated it because I would be tossing them out every week for fear of bacteria.

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If there's a chance it can cause harm to your spider, why take it?? :?

sammyp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sponges - God I hate this particular myth so bad! If spiders were meant to drink from sponges, the first trip each newly hatched spiderling would make would be down to the ocean to go dive for a sponge to keep in its burrow!

I know some people have used them, but honestly, what is the point?