Tips for moving cross country with T's? KS to OR

Trinity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

I'm going to move in a couple months and I am trying to work out how to bring all my animals with me. This includes 27 tarantulas, five ferrets, and three cats. In this post, I'm not concerned with moving the cats or ferrets, I've travelled across country with them before, but the tarantulas I'm looking for information.

Any tips for how best to travel with tarantulas for three days? What should I put them in? Should I pack them like I'm shipping them? What would take up the least amount of space? How do I make sure they make it?

If it makes a difference (common names because I'm lazy):
1 - 8 in. Goliath Birdeater
1 - 5 in. Pinktoe
1 - 5 in. Brazilian Black
1 - 2 in. Blue Fang Skeleton
2 - 1 in. Versicolors
1 - 3 in. Chilean Rose*
1 - 4 in Cobalt Blue*
19- 2 in. OBTs*

And does anyone know if I need a permit to bring them into Oregon? I know the cats need permits. They never replied to my email asking about ferrets and if permits were needed. Any info on that would be appreciated too.

* see FF post if interested in these

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Pack them up in deli cups and/or vials (depending on size) just like you were shipping them. I'd put them in a box together with some padding (just like shipping) and they should be fine.

Good luck.

Becca

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
becca81 said:
Pack them up in deli cups and/or vials (depending on size) just like you were shipping them. I'd put them in a box together with some padding (just like shipping) and they should be fine.

Good luck.

Becca
Ditto what Becca said.
Other than that, just make sure they are in a climate controled area of the vehicle while you're traveling. Feed and water them up real good before you go and they should be fine.

ancientscout

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Move to Oregon

I live in Oregon. There is no permit necessary to move or have them here. Additionally, why tell anyone anyway? You'll be fine. Depending on your time table it is still cold here at night currently down into mid 40s or slightly lower depending on where here you are moving to. Daytime temps are still only around the mid 60s.
Also, depeding on the area you are headed to, tarantulas are not big here as opposed to other locations in the country so there is not allot of support here for them. There is only one dealer/vendor in Oregon that I know of. He does have an internet presence. Good luck with your move.