Anyone have a care sheet for a Haitian Brown(Phormictopus cancerides)?

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The subject of this thread says it all. I can't find a care sheet, or any information really on a Haitian Brown (Phormictopus cancerides) online or anything. Anyone have any information? Thanks.
Mike

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I did a search on here and found some information, so you guys don't really have to reply, although MORE information would be great! So, I'll also ask on here, Who else has a Haitian Brown?
Mike

Alissa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a small sling from Swifts, absolutely love it. Throws up the cutest wittle threat postures. I can't think of any special species-specific requirements. They are pretty hardy and undemanding and interesting.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wonder about them.

I saw many pictures of a magnificient purple glowing arboreal, yet many describe the specie as dull brown, even mistaken for blondies at times.

wadisit??

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are pretty hard critters. They keep the blue coloration until they are about 2 inches in size, then they start getting to be more purple and brown. Right about that size is when mine started getting attitudes. I have been keeping the slings with some slightly moist peat (i.e a misting once a week). When I mist I make sure there are some droplets on the side of the deli cup ( I have seen them drink). Once they get large enough they can get a water dish and pretty much dry peat for a bedding. If you have any more questions just ask.

jwasted

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have one about 1.75-2 inches and it stays in it's hide most the time. Pretty good eater.

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tough as nails is an understatement.

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have around five 4-to-5in juveniles right now and used to own an adult female. They all eat well and seem to be fine in a wide variety of environments. I keep mine on the dry side with larger sized water dishes. They are usually a brown/metallic brown sheen. I really think that their colors are great. The ultimate males will turn a pretty purple if I remember correctly. They are fairly active which is also a plus.

They can be rather testy at times but if you watch out on the sudden movements around them and take precautions on not to startle them then that shouldnt be an issue.

Other than being a bit feisty(which I dont mind) they are really awesome T's.

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, very old thread X). And yep, too big. Downsize to a smaller enclosure and use that extra space for more enclosures to put more spiders in ;).

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Keep them on slightly moist substrate with a hide and a waterdish! They are pretty hardy guys, and adults are great display tarantulas! Very defensive spiders in general! One of my favourite speicies!

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Keep them on slightly moist substrate with a hide and a waterdish! They are pretty hardy guys, and adults are great display tarantulas! Very defensive spiders in general! One of my favourite speicies!
Anyone have a picture of a male and female?

(old thread I know )

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Anybody know what a good price is for a P Cancerides 1/2-1 inch? Judging from the way people talk about them, I would like to get a handful to raise up!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Anybody know what a good price is for a P Cancerides 1/2-1 inch? Judging from the way people talk about them, I would like to get a handful to raise up!
They aren't expensive; they're the most common Phormictopus and w/c's are still being brought in. Certainly a genus that needs more representation in the hobby.

Bergrider

Arachnopeon
I have a 4"
It's pretty laid back for the most part as long as it's let be.
It's not super jumpy and I don't see threat poses very often. However it has its days.
My Sp. Purple is about 2" or so now and it's attitude is much more defensive but neither strike my tongs if left to go back in their hides.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have a 4"
It's pretty laid back for the most part as long as it's let be.
It's not super jumpy and I don't see threat poses very often. However it has its days.
My Sp. Purple is about 2" or so now and it's attitude is much more defensive but neither strike my tongs if left to go back in their hides.
My Purples are pretty feisty too, at 2". Some will stand up and challenge me. I love it.

awiec

Arachnoprince
My sp. Purple is jumpy, I usually just tap the cage and it will retreat to the hole so I can do maintenance; but feeding time is serious business, it get all crouched and ready to to tackle what ever I throw in. I use sphagnum moss to keep moisture as when I originally got it, it was a little small for a bottle cap, now its close to 2 inches so I can probably put it in there. These guys love to make huge caverns so give them lots of sub.