Blue Cobalt

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are a ton of threads about these spiders, they burrow and rarely come out, they need deep substate and a water dish, some will say they need to be kept a little humid as well...

Regards, Mike

bananaman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The common name is actually Cobalt Blue... scientific name Haplopelma lividum... do a search

mybigone1956

Arachnopeon
Hey Tlover, I have a three year old female colbalt blue, she is very easy to take care of. i have my spiders in portable hot house for plants. i keep the temp at 80-85 and the hum. around 80. she is a digger and a climber,my colbalt is very active and i see her every day, they are not for the weak at heart very mean will bite the first chance they get.if i can help let me know . she did molt about 3 weeks ago and she lost a leg but that did not bother her. like i said if i can help email me.harry.......

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
mybigone1956 said:
i have my spiders in portable hot house for plants.
What does one of those look like? Doesn't sound very deep.

If the spider is very active then something is probably wrong. Tarantulas by their very nature are not particularly active.

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
they are avid burrowers and i never see mine unless they are hunting/feeding. they like medium humidity and deep substrate. they are generally quick and a bit agressive. beautiful animals!

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thick/Deep substrate, keep the substrate slightly on the damp side but not too wet and dont expect to see it much :D

They're pretty easy to keep but all of mine are very aggressive. Thats the only trouble i have with them especially rehousing.

maarrrrr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah rehousing is quite a chore with these beauties. I keep mine in a cylindrcal vase thats about a foot high and about 6 inches in diameter.

GabooN

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lopez said:
What does one of those look like? Doesn't sound very deep.

If the spider is very active then something is probably wrong. Tarantulas by their very nature are not particularly active.
i think he meant he keeps all (or some) of his spiders enclosures in those portable green house things...the thing I'm thinking of is a couple shelves with a clear plastic cover and usually a zippered door or something

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't tell that to my spiders...I like seeing them out and about. ;)