World's largest cockroach?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What is the world's largest cockroach species, and does anyone have pictures of it? Is it available in the pet trade?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Macropanethensia rhinocerous...most likely spelled differently, though

Megaloblatta longipennis...may be spelled wrong, or the genus may be wrong

Do a GIS for either of these.

MacCleod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Macropanesthia rhinoceros......I 've seen these huge roaches a few times offered on Belgian or Dutch fairs, but they were very expensive (about $24 for 1 adult)

Picture is not mine...see http://www.dannesdjur.com/insekt8.shtml for more pix.

Last edited:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nobody sells the M.longipennis species. The only people in the US known to have them are the smithsonian institution.

However, rhino roaches are sporadically availible for about $100 on this side of the pond.

PM somebody by the name of roachman here on the boards for more info.

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Macropanesthia rhinoceros is the largest, native to australia, not sure how far away i am from their natural habitat tho

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not interested in the rhino roach, besides the leaves it eats arent sold here, too expensive also.

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
roaches

There are many big species out there. True giganteus can be very big, the oblingata are big, the adult rhinos I've kept are very large. There was a new species discovered in Borneo that is suppose to be the longest species. I've just seen pictures like the megaloblatta. Even giant stock hissers can get big.
PS, I just had my first batch of oblingata babies, YEAH
James
www.blaberus.com

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
G.oblongata
Randolph do you have any pictures of this species? i often hear you talk about it but i cant find any images

McPede

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
james said:
There are many big species out there. True giganteus can be very big, the oblingata are big, the adult rhinos I've kept are very large. There was a new species discovered in Borneo that is suppose to be the longest species. I've just seen pictures like the megaloblatta. Even giant stock hissers can get big.
PS, I just had my first batch of oblingata babies, YEAH
James
www.blaberus.com
The new specie from Borneo:
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40659000/jpg/_40659763_203bi_roach_nature.jpg

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer

That is a very colorful roach! Thanks for the name help, pictures of that species would be nice too.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
As far as I know:

Heaviest - Macropanesthia rhinoceros (available in pet trade)
Longest body - Gromphadorhina oblongonata (available in pet trade)
Longest wingspan - Megaloblatta longipennis (not available in pet trade)

And the new species from Borneo, I have no idea... but that looks pretty big too and reminds me of a tarantula hawk!

Here's a picture of my male G. oblongonata I posted a while ago:

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gigus said:
Randolph do you have any pictures of this species? i often hear you talk about it but i cant find any images
well, to some ppl, it is just a bigger hisser, can't compare to 300 dollar rhino AUSSIE roaches, i got a pair from Double D a while ago , and it'll be pretty common couple years later i guess

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If they breed as prolifically as some of the other roaches. I hear the rhinos breed slower or take longer to mature, or something to that effect.