Minnesota Pedes

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What type of pedes are found up here they look like mini S. robusta. The biggest I saw was maybe three inches.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They sound like scolocryptops species. Count the legs and that will give us a clue as to what they are.

In the meantime, search for the Iowa centi list and PM cacoseraph.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have pics of a sub adult one!

This should help with ID.

nileppezdel

Arachnopeon
Not necessarily. There are literally thousands of lithobius species. And it would take an expert with a microscope to be able to tell the difference between em. The larger deeper red ones you are finding could be a different species.

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Tleilaxu said:
No because the adults I have seen are larger. And a deeper red.
Well, lithobiomorpha aren't born with all their body segments, I think they're generally born with 7, and then add them with each molt, until they have 15 segments, the maximum number that order can have. The one in the picture has 15, so the larger ones you see are probably a different species. Scolopendromorpha have 21 or 23 segments, and have them all right from birth.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Could be Scolocryptops or Theotops. I don't know if they're native but they're longer and red.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh I see well they all look the same to me up here :eek: anyways... atleast we were able to pin them into a genus.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The longer, redder ones could *could* be soil cents (again, search the Iowa centi list for genus name) but theatops and scolocryptops are also found this far north so those genra are definitely not out of the question.

LongDucDong

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The one in the picture is a Lithobius spp (aka stone centipede). Centipedes of the genus Lithobiomorpha are extremely long and thin and can have upwards of 150 pairs of legs (and are also blind).

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lithiobiomorpha max at 15 leg bearing body segments = stone cents
geophilomorpha max at >150 leg bearing body segments = soil/snail cents

scolopocryptops always have 23 leg bearing segs and are eyeless
theatops should have 21 and are eyeless also. i think theatops all have fat terminal legs, but i'm not sure about that