growing succulents with scorps

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i would really like 2 grow a succulent or a non spiny catus so how do i do this, do i just plonk it in the sand?

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
with some other substre mixed in with the sand around its base, so it is able to be compacted

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thanks, wont be untill my lil guys grow up may be a couple of years yet

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lychas,

Very much depends on the species, geographic locale of the originating stock, requirements, etc.
Unfortunately, due to the perceived incredible hardiness of succulents and various cacti, it has led too many to erroneously believe that these plants only require minimum care without special requirements. This, however, is untrue.
I'll not go into a great lengthy diatribe. All I'll suggest is doing some pre-acquisition research (on the web, books, etc.) and give these incredible plants the care they need and require.
As for suggestions - try some of the various South African Haworthia spp. They are hardy, moderately adaptive, rarely attain sizes greater than 80 mm and are an incredibly beautiful and diverse groups of plants. Scorpions should enjoy the shelter provided beneath such plants.
Cacti are only appropriate if used in enclosures of New World scorpions. They are definitely a bit out of place in the enclosures of the Old World taxa (unless you have specimens of Rhipsalis about).
As for substrate: it's very true that the primary requirement of any substrate used to grow cacti and succulents is its ability to provide adequate drainage in order to avoid root rot and various other maladies associated with compacted soils with poor drainage abilities.
A good general purpose substrate is:

6 parts sand
2 parts standard potting soil
2 parts gravel, crushed clay plant pot fragments or lava rock.

In an enclosure it would be best to keep the plant housed in a clay plant pot only slightly larger than the plant itself. This can then be covered with a thin layer of the substrate used within the enclosure to hide the upper lip of the pot.
Contrary to popular opinion, cacti and succulents *DO* require regular but not frequent waterings and should be provided with 2 moderate fertilizations per year (except during the dormant period when it is important to provide decreased waterings, temperatures, feedings and airflow)...

Good luck...Luc

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i was gonna use a euphorbia sp, i have a nice ball one with no spines, looks quite kool

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lychas,

Euphorbs are great. Your species could be obesa (E. obesa) from southern Africa's Karoo Desert Region - Very hardy and should do well in a xeric environment if supplied with regular care. Actually, I prefer the Spurges over all other Euphorbs; even the seasonal favorite the poinsettia (E. pulcherrima) is quite an interesting member of the genus. Good luck.

Luc

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lychas,

RE: the issue of spines (primaries and glochids) vs. scorpions.
Personally, I don't think there's a valid argument here unless your scorpion begins to exhibit signs of a suicidal bent for self-impalement!

Luc

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive seen images of an A. Bic crawling all over a cactus

rattler_mt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
another thing that should be noted is that most desert succulents need very good light. most will not do well without good light. not all succulents are actually desert plants either. some tropical cacti actually like quite abit of moisture just not soggy conditions. a loose airy mix thats constantly damp works best soil that is dry most of the time actually doesnt work well.

like was stated, read up on any plants before using them to decide if they will do well or not.

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thanks guys, ialso have a little cactus here with tiny spines that dont point out, its pretty much impossible 4 me 2 stab myself of them so shuld b fine 4 scorsp 2 i wuld think