Where To Buy A Goliath Tarantula?

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anybody Know where to get a goliath tarantula from?

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are pretty common. Most of the online dealers have them. Just make sure you know how to properly care for one before you get it, they can be a tad tricky, especially when young.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
search the classifieds for "blondi" and you'll find some offers :)

ventell

Arachnopeon
There are several reputable dealers with reviews on the boards. I assume that you are willing to buy online, or over the phone, and I also assume that you mean a t. blondi. I also hope that you possess the skills and the discipline to take care of this species. They have high humidity/high temperature preferences that need to be maintained. Do you have any other tarantulas at this time, or do you want a really big, aggressive t as a first one?

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have 3 of my own and some for sale as well PM me for details.

Back on point: If you do buy one or two make sure that they have a waterdish at all times and mist the sides of the enclosure every 2-3 days. Try not to get any on the tarantula itself or you run a risk of the tarantula's hair to start molding. Also keep it at room temperature 70-80 degrees would be fine.

Last edited:

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ventell said:
There are several reputable dealers with reviews on the boards. I assume that you are willing to buy online, or over the phone, and I also assume that you mean a t. blondi. I also hope that you possess the skills and the discipline to take care of this species. They have high humidity/high temperature preferences that need to be maintained. Do you have any other tarantulas at this time, or do you want a really big, aggressive t as a first one?
I'm taking good care of my emperor scorpion which require's high heat and humidity so that should be no problem, and I have one tarantula that is wild caught so I keep it outside and it's been fine, but yea lol as you can tell by the emperor scorpion I like big arachnid's :).

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Don't mist the inside any tarantula's hide. They abhore water, even those who like higher humidity. They will go to their hides to get away from the moist substrate...if their hide is all wet as well they have no dry place to hang out. They don't *sit in the rain* or "bask in the mud". ;)

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you want a big species, i would get an L. parahybana, they are huge too. Here is why. T. blondis (Goliath Bird Eaters) are tricky to keep wheras parahybanas are quite easier. I see that you may be ok with the humidity due to your emps, but blondis are notorious for bad molts which can end in death even if you help them. parahybanas grow like weeds, dont have a big humidity demands, are cheap, and get almost just as big (if not AS big or some say even bigger). Both have nasty u hairs though. Anyways, just my .02$. Many people sell both, try the review boards to find some dealers.

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
metzgerzoo said:
Don't mist the inside any tarantula's hide. They abhore water, even those who like higher humidity. They will go to their hides to get away from the moist substrate...if their hide is all wet as well they have no dry place to hang out. They don't *sit in the rain* or "bask in the mud". ;)
Ok thank's for the tip.

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Snipes said:
If you want a big species, i would get an L. parahybana, they are huge too. Here is why. T. blondis (Goliath Bird Eaters) are tricky to keep wheras parahybanas are quite easier. I see that you may be ok with the humidity due to your emps, but blondis are notorious for bad molts which can end in death even if you help them. parahybanas grow like weeds, dont have a big humidity demands, are cheap, and get almost just as big (if not AS big or some say even bigger). Both have nasty u hairs though. Anyways, just my .02$. Many people sell both, try the review boards to find some dealers.
Ok I'll have to look into that because from what I've seen on this one site they're about 100 dollar's lol.

DanHalen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Blondi are great, but if this is your first "Giant", I'd go with L. Parahybana. They are only a little bit smaller really. And much cheaper - Blondi lay around 100 eggs or so, whilst L. Parahybana can literally lay a few thousand in a single go. I saw an advert selling slings here in the uk for 50 pence each!

I dont worry about any specific humidity requirements at all however. Another thing to take into account is the hairs. You may find yourself itching an awful lot after tank maintanence.

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
DanHalen said:
Blondi are great, but if this is your first "Giant", I'd go with L. Parahybana. They are only a little bit smaller really. And much cheaper - Blondi lay around 100 eggs or so, whilst L. Parahybana can literally lay a few thousand in a single go. I saw an advert selling slings here in the uk for 50 pence each!

I dont worry about any specific humidity requirements at all however. Another thing to take into account is the hairs. You may find yourself itching an awful lot after tank maintanence.
Well I'm not trying to breed any lol I juss want one tarantula, but yea I guess having a blondi does have it's downside's.

DanHalen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
8ball said:
Well I'm not trying to breed any lol I juss want one tarantula, but yea I guess having a blondi does have it's downside's.
I mean that because there are so many L. Parahybana, they are dirt cheap.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah they are really cheap, there was an advert a while back for babies that were a few $ each.

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That they are!
Heck, I've still got some juvis to sell, but they sure are cute! :D