More nematode questions

Trogdora

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi everyone, I've got a few questions about nematodes. Today I noticed some white material around my wild-caught A. avic's mouth and anus. Over the past couple of weeks he's been lethargic, hasn't had much of an appetite, and has been spending more time around the bottom of his cage. I just chalked this up to the fact that he hooked out a couple months ago and could be out his way out, but today these new symptoms presented.

I've already isolated him far away from my other five t's, and my animals don't share dishes or anything but they have been kept in the same room. It sounds to me like nematodes are worms, but how exactly do they spread and how fast? Also, are the nematodes found in tarantulas harmful to humans and other animals? I've been keeping arachnids for seven years and I've never had a problem like this before, any information you can provide me with is much appreciated. Thank you!

Juraki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I found this with a google search.
http://www.giantspiders.com/article12.html

The article mentions small flies being able to transfer the worms between enclosures, you may want to get the infected T as far from the others as possible. Especially if you have seen flies.

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Juraki said:
I found this with a google search.
http://www.giantspiders.com/article12.html

The article mentions small flies being able to transfer the worms between enclosures, you may want to get the infected T as far from the others as possible. Especially if you have seen flies.
That phorid fly bit really just seems like speculation to me. The phorid flies are mentioned in the tarantula keepers guide, and no mention of nematodes being transfered was mentioned. Remember that correlation is NOT causation, just because someone had phorid flies at the same time they had nematodes does not necessarily mean that the phorid flies were the vector, although they could very well be. The nematodes could have hitched a ride on some dirt on his tongs, for example.

As a counterpoint, my first Avicularia Avicularia (also wc) died of a very similar ailment. However, at the time I was battling a booklice infestation in many of my cages, especially the Avics cage, yet none of my other spiders came down with the same sickness.

Nematode worms themselves do NOT paralyze the Ts fangs, nor do they kill the spider. Commensul bacteria that live with the nematodes eat away at the Ts tissue and paralyze the fangs. These bacteria are the real problem. So, by using a dewormer like mebendazole you only cure half the equation. You also need an antibiotic to cure the bacterial infection. (Larry Boyd, and Kerry of REISM, personal communication)

Back to my A. Avicularia who was sick with a mystery infection, which symptomatically is similar to nematodes, but with ONE important difference. As I said above, the fangs will be paralyzed because of bacteria, this means that the T's fangs will still be paralyzed even if the discharge around the mouth is removed. However, taking a pair of tongs, I grabbed my Avic between leg two and three. I flipped her over, and using a pair of sterilized toothpicks, and water, preceded to remove the white discharge from her mouth. Once the discharge was removed, my A. Avicularia's fangs could move perfectly fine. Maybe it would be worth it to try this, or to contact http://www.exoticmicro.org/ and see if they can send you something to sample the discharge with. However, larry is out for a few weeks on vacation.

For those who remember this thread the sick B. Smithi was added to my care AFTER the avicularia had been isolated, and the booklice were taken care of, plus the disease are different symptomatically.

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nematodes and smell

Anybody else noticed a weird smell associated with infected spiders. I mentioned earlier that there is a very strong smell coming from the enclosure of my blondi, Ive not yet determined if its the spider itself, the peat is around a month old and dry and never smelt like that before, it actually smells almost like something is decaying.

treeweta.

Kiffie

Arachnopeon
treeweta said:
Anybody else noticed a weird smell associated with infected spiders. I mentioned earlier that there is a very strong smell coming from the enclosure of my blondi, Ive not yet determined if its the spider itself, the peat is around a month old and dry and never smelt like that before, it actually smells almost like something is decaying.

treeweta.
The GiantSpiders article says this of infected spiders' enclosures: There was a strange sweet odour coming from the cage also.

Juraki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I only recommeded moving the T far away from the others, but yes, you would want to qurantine it completely. I mention the flies because it would at least be nice to collect as much info as I can, what did each case have in common, what was different? ect. From what I have read, substrate is the most likely source. That being said I also think crickets could also be one. That's just a hunch. It's seems no-one really has a ton of detailed info on this subject. By the time a keeper develops a problem he/she replaces all the substrate, isolates the infected T's, prevents any further cross-contamination, and those subjects usually die. The others that were not exposed in any way to the infected spiders make it, and that's the last we hear from them on the subject. It's unfortunate that not much is known since this, though not hugely common is a cause for worry.

I'd like to know how to prevent this, but I can't find info on how.

Trogdora

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for all of the information and advice, it's been very helpful. Didn't notice any sweet smell coming from the enclosure and his fangs are still working fine, though he still has no appetite. I've changed his substrate, and I haven't noticed any sort of flies in the house so hopefully it hasn't spread to any of my others. They're not exhibiting any of the strange behaviors he was before the latest symptom showed up.

I'm going to keep an eye on him and try to get a sample of the white stuff to my vet so she can take a look at it.