Cyriopagopus sp. "blue" or "singapore"

Fierce Deity

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would like to add one of these gorgeous blue arboreals to my collection. My question is, what is the difference between Cyriopagopus sp "blue" and Cyriopagopus sp "singapore"? Or, are they exactly the same thing? I have heard things like they are the same thing, they are color variants, or that they are different species, and since information on these is rare, I can't find much to go on. Thanks.
Pictures and care would be nice too.

Andyn6969

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yep same thing ,Cyriopagopus.sp blue or Cyriopagopus sp singapore blue! Singapore blue is used mostly as the common unscientific name , I bought 1 of these a couple of weeks ago as a juvi, Ill try and get some pics of it at the moment its made loads of burrowed tunnels at the bottom of the cork bark haha! ive heard when they get too bout 4" they become more arboreal and get more colour so cant wait!!
Andy!!!!!

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My guess would be they are probably the same if the price is about the same. Since obviously they are undescribed, in theory a dealer could probably call them Cyriopagopus sp. "whatever they feel like" and get away with it. However, I'd confirm before you purchase that it is in fact what we would call a "Singapore Blue". There has been talk of the two color variants - one from Singapore and the other from Malaysia - with one being more blue-ish and one being more purple-ish (I forget which is which), but from what I've been able to gather it's probably basically the same T. These guys seem to have different colors throughout the molt cycle and depending on your lighting, so it's easy to see how people could suspect a color variant. Also, personally, I think it's just an excuse to charge more (and so I've been told by several dealers) if you can say you have a unique variant of this species.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I got a 1 1/4 inch S'ling last week. Hard to distinguish color at this point other than it's legs are dark and abdomen is a bit lighter. Mine eats like a pig and digs lots of tunnels. Mine was sold as Cyriopagopus sp. blue "Malaysia".

Last edited:

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi..
Yes, they all are the same, Cyriopagopus sp. "blue"/"singapore"/"blue 2" and so on..
Its the same spider just with many localities, they have a big range.. Singapore, Malaysia, Indonisia = all the same.. some say that it's another species just because they have more reddish hairs or another hue.. but we will see later this year when Volker releases his papers ;)

Though, the one from Borneo looks alitle bit diffrent and has been seperated from the otherones for a looong time.. so thatone might be another species, but we'll se ;)

They get their adult colors in about 15cm legspan (6in)

ghost6303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cyriopagopus sp

anyone have any care info/special instructions for these guys? was looking to get one but theres almost no info out there on them yet

scolex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
anyone have any care info/special instructions for these guys? was looking to get one but theres almost no info out there on them yet
I just picked one up my self. I have heard they like lower temps.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
The name "Singapore" resulted mostly because the first collection team [Alvin & Co.] was from Singapore. The spider is found on mainland Malaysia and, until described as a species, should more properly be referred to as Cyriopagopus sp. 'blue', without any geographic reference. Ignore all of the other trade names.

You will find that these spiders do better at somewhat cool temperatures and moderate to moderately high humidity (70-80% RH, 70-75F].
(In fact, many people keep all of their tarantulas too warm, overlooking the fact that whether living in burrows, rock scrapes, tree holes or palm fronds these spiders inhabit microclimates significantly cooler than the ambient temperature outside their retreats).

Best regards, Michael

Mark Pennell

BTS Committee
The name "Singapore" resulted mostly because the first collection team [Alvin & Co.] was from Singapore. The spider is found on mainland Malaysia and, until described as a species, should more properly be referred to as Cyriopagopus sp. 'blue', without any geographic reference. Ignore all of the other trade names.

You will find that these spiders do better at somewhat cool temperatures and moderate to moderately high humidity (70-80% RH, 70-75F].
(In fact, many people keep all of their tarantulas too warm, overlooking the fact that whether living in burrows, rock scrapes, tree holes or palm fronds these spiders inhabit microclimates significantly cooler than the ambient temperature outside their retreats).

Best regards, Michael
Interesting stuff, I just like to add to this one if I may. The first images I received of this species were sat in a tree in none other than Singapore. As I was going out to Borneo that November 2003 I arranged to see the person who found it. Incidentally it was not blue at the time but a pinkish brown. So had no idea of how it was going to turn out.

I tried to contact him from Sabah but was unable to get an outside line, so could not arrange for him to meet us at the airport.

It was not until I returned back that I received a image of the spider it had now moulted and was bright blue!... he had removed from the tree, and it died in his care.

The following year Alvin brought these to the BTS show and everyone went mad, Alvins where as far as I know from the mainland.

But the name Singapore blue had stuck by then, and was also used as a misleading locally data to deter over zealous collecting and I guess to protect a monopoly.

Myths, legends, half truths are abundant within this genus, one day we will all look back and have real good chuckle about it.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why then aren't they described. I browsed the various spider catalogs and it's nowhere to be found yet species I never heard off are properly named and classified. The blue is one of the top spiders in the world and it's legaly nonexistent. Sadening...

If the guy who found it is named Salam, just call it Cyriopagopus salami!

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
describing a spider takes time. first you have to check the other species in the genus. (look at the holotypes of each species that are deposited in musea) so you are sure it is a new species and not an extremety of an allready known species. sometimes holotypes are missing, this compicates everything! sometimes species are described under a diffrent genus because 100 years ago they valued other characteristecs then taxonomists now.
sometimes describing a new species can't be done unless you revise the whole genus..... just be patient.

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From what I have seen the Cyriopagopus sp. "singapore blue" adults have had a more electric blue color to them then the Cyriopagopus sp. "blue malaysian" adults but this may be another instance where " Color means nothing" lol

Wade

worm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have a singapore as well and think there great....i got it as a .25" and been keeping it up to now a amazing 2.5" they grow fast...lol mines actually kinda fat.

i noticed that it was hard to get info or a care sheet for this spider..hell most people dont even know what they are, i guess there still kinda new in the hobby. I have found that even for my sling as long as im like 75deg or better she's cool. i even went all out to make sure humidity was correct and it is so far. i keep it at 65% or better but not too much honestly if you just mist your cage every other day or so then let it dry your good. Mine being a sling prefeers to lick off the side of the tank...(spiders have tongues!..lol) i dont have any amazing blue yet to report of but i do have some really cool floresent green toes on the underside.

her hair is slowly giving a metalic blueish/grey look....but she's fast so its hard to get a good look. Id put he/she in a good amount of substrate so she can do her burrow thing.

but if you want check out my you tube page you can see her in action and out of her burrow

JensWest

Arachnopeon
Hi.
I´ve just picked up one of these my self on about 3½" in legspan.
Are you able to sex these as C. schioedtei or do you have to look for a spermathecae?

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It´ll come.:) Just want to feed it first though it´s quite thin right now.
Is it possible to sex it by just looking at it was question?
at 3 and 1/2 you should be but it won't be easy and won't be very accurate unless it's one of the ones that's just obvious.