ID needed.

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Found this 1" spider in southeastern Missouri. I've not seen anything like it in Missouri, and nothing like it is listed on the state conservation web page. Appears to be a mature male, judging from the pedipalps.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks like a Trapdoor spider to me. I just found a Trapdoor spider in w tx. It sure looks like the one in your picture.

orcrist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with the ID as a trapdoor, I just have to wonder about it being a male. The pedipalps are long, but there's no bulby thing. Do mygalamorph males lack those? Anyone?

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's hard to see in the pics I've taken, but it appears to have bulbs on the pedipalps. They seem to be wide from front to back, and not side to side, so it's hard to get a decent pic of them. And I don't think we have trapdoor spiders in Missouri.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't think they were in Texas either. But it's been cofirmed by an arachnid expert here. I found one in e tx too. Here's a pic of the male. He's pretty used up in the pic. He's not here anymore:( . Yours looks to be a different sp but it sure looks like a Trapdoor.

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I couldn't hold mine like that. If anything brushes him, he wants to kill it. I suppose he could be a trapdoor, but there's absolutely nothing written about trapdoors in this part of the world. Farther east there's a cyclosmia species, but they have a very distinctive flattened abdomen, so it's not one of those. I'll give it some more substrate and see if it burrows. I didn't find it in a burrow. Found it hanging on a wall in a bathroom at a campsite.

He's also maybe a half the size of that spider, and I still believe him to be an adult male.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh my God Gala, is that what i think it is?segments on the abdomen?
more pics plz

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow, I'm barely having a flash about what you're thinking. What is it reminding you of? No, no segments. It's abdomen was just shriveling up in the pic. It's gone. I don't have it any more.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mistwalker said:
I couldn't hold mine like that. If anything brushes him, he wants to kill it. I suppose he could be a trapdoor, but there's absolutely nothing written about trapdoors in this part of the world. Farther east there's a cyclosmia species, but they have a very distinctive flattened abdomen, so it's not one of those. I'll give it some more substrate and see if it burrows. I didn't find it in a burrow. Found it hanging on a wall in a bathroom at a campsite.

He's also maybe a half the size of that spider, and I still believe him to be an adult male.
The one in my pic was only about an inch long, maybe not even an inch. That's my little finger in the pic. It's about as long as my finger is wide. I saw it crossing a road. The males are out for females. It might not burrow again if it's a male Trapdoor looking for a female. It does look pretty healthy though. The one I had was all used up. I think I know who would know what sp this is. I'll see if he's willing to take a shot at it.

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I saw that. It's maddening. They don't know what it is either. Brian S found one too, and he didn't know. I sent it in to "whatsthatbug.com", but I don't honestly think they're any more knowledgable than the folks here. They'll probably just say "trapdoor" and forget about it.

I may have to go back to the area where I found it and pour some water down some holes and see what crawls up out of them. If this turns out to be an actual trapdoor, it would be something no one knows about occuring in Missouri.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I emailed someone your pic. I really trust this guys knowledge. He teaches this stuff and is supposed to be a speaker at ArachnoCon. This is what he said, "....there are most certainly trapdoor spiders there (Missouri) as well as Florida." He said he would have to research it to get a sp name. But he didn't say he "was" going to research it. I'll let you know if he emails me back.

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I can confirm now that it is a trapdoor spider. It burrowed and made a little lid for his burrow sometime last night. PICS!

Closed lid:

Open lid:

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mistwalker, compare your spider's tibia of leg III to that of the spider in Galapoheros' picture. If it's the same then it's a Ummidia sp. trapdoor spider. Ummidia spp. are identified by a saddle-like depression on the tibia of leg III.