maintaning aggressive species in cage with top opening lids

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My pokies are arriving today and I'm apprehensive about routien maintanace since they will be in tall contaners with screw on lids. I'm worried about them escaping or biting when I take the lids off, my other aggressive T's are in KK with the little trap doors on top. Any words of wisdom to help ease my worries?

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i had to do that with 3 2.5 inch sling in one container... the bath room is your friend, minimal places for them to hide if they do manage to get out

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I've never had any arboreal come running out while doing maintenance. As long as they have a place to hide (pokies included) they will run to their hide rather than run up to the big scary thing poking into their house. I've done maintenance with the lid open for long periods with my pokies, they've never once shown any inclination of wanting to escape.
Of course I wouldn't leave the lid open and then leave the room, that would just be asking for it!:)

Becca

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I find with pokies that they prefer to run down and hide rather then run out and up, if they do happen to run out a good rule of the thumb is stay calm, which is easier said than done {D They can then be gently prodded back into the container or with babies I coax them using the lid, often allowing them to climb inside it so I can put it back on the pot and they can just climb down.
My female pokie regalis is in a large tank with an open top lid, she runs downwards and hides rather than upwards. If you can see through the containers then you can usually check whereabouts the spider is at the time of opening, if you unscrew the lid verrry gently then you shouldn't have too many problems. It may be a lot easier to do it in the bath, at least then you have more control but it can be a pain to keep taking pots back and forth.
My main advice is to be gentle and don't rush, let them web up before you start taking lids off, then they're more likely to run and hide :)

Edit: My regalis has never evvvveeer shown me a threat display, nor have any other pokies that i've kept in the past. I wouldn't consider them agressive at all, they prefer to run than bite in my experience.

Stoic

Arachnopeon
I have several "agressive" tarantulas. All (with the exception of one) would prefer to hide than go on the offensive.

The odds of you getting an angry Poec are quite slim... But if you do, consider yourself lucky. I've yet to see any aggression out of mine (4 total), so quite honestly I feel a bit gypped.

Stoic

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks everyone, you've helped ease my fears. I was reading through bite reports on pokie last night and I guess I got paranoid.

@stoic, I completely understand the getting gypped, my OBT hasn't shown any aggression so far.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer

I had the same worry and so I made an enclosure like this.