"Mattress Clean" spray bad for T?

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I heard stories of "Febreeze" supposedly being bad for T's and wondered about this stuff:

My mom got this stuff called "Mattress Clean" anti-microbial and it's supposed to kill dust mites, to be safe I moved my T to another room and closed the door.

Now I'm worried that if my T crawls on my bed it might be harmful. (though this is a spray directly on the mattress, and it isnt on the sheets or covers, where my T would be crawling anyway)

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd worry about it too since mites are arachnids and the stuff is meant to kill them. I'd keep the T away from your room for a week or two just to be safe.

I won't even let my family use mosquito repellent in the house, I'm paranoid:)

sammyp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, generally as far as sprays of any kind are concerned I prefer to err on this side of caution and not use them near my T's. That mattress-clean sounds like something that would prove the caution justified! Try and keep your T away from the area a while.

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm at least gonna wait a whole day for the fumes to dissipate, before I even put the T's cage back in my room, and it will probably be a week anyway before I have her out for a crawl too. My main concern is the vapours emanating from the sprayed mattress, direct contact is unlikely, but the outgassing of fumes is cause for worry.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
SPIDERBYTE said:
I'm at least gonna wait a whole day for the fumes to dissipate, before I even put the T's cage back in my room, and it will probably be a week anyway before I have her out for a crawl too. My main concern is the vapours emanating from the sprayed mattress, direct contact is unlikely, but the outgassing of fumes is cause for worry.
So you think a day is enough??

I'd wait longer..

Is there a reason you can't wash your bedding after spraying??
If it tells you not to wash it after spraying then I would guess that it is designed to stay for a while and continue killing the mites...

read the can, find an active ingredient...
if not look up the MSDS for that stuff on the internet..
PM me the name of it if you don't have any luck

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
O kso I couldn't wait

http://www.stainsafe.com/webdocs/msds/fabric/Mattress Clean.pdf

the active ( harmful ) ingredient is Ethylene Glycol n-Butyl Ether

I do NOT believe it is designed to be an insecticide...

that class of chemicals has some generic uses

Anti-freezing and anti-icing additive
Intermediate in polymer production and chemical reaction
Solvent or plasticizer for plastic, lacquer, paint and varnish
Hydraulic, brake, thermal exchange fluids and fuel additive
Humidifying and plasticizing
Dehydrating
Coupling printing inks
Textile conditioning
Solvent for dyes in textile and leather finishing
Agricultural formulation
General purpose cleaners
Explosives manufacture
Electrolytic component
Humectant
Water-based coating
Preservative, rust remover, and disinfectant
(http://chemicalland21.com/industrialchem/solalc/ETHYLENEGLYCOL MONOBUTYL ETHER.htm)
I WOULD wash your bedding after.. and since it is water soluble let the T roam at will afterwards ..
GOOD LUCK

Redip Spider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ethylene Glycol n-Butyl Ether

Based on the MSDS above, it sounds to me that the active ingredient (Ethylene Glycol n-Butyl Ether) is meant to simply dehydrate the mites. Since it is an ether compound, it shouldn't hang around long at all. I don't think fumes should be an issue after a few minutes, just be sure to air out your room well.

Don't take me as an expert on this, but I did study chemistry (although I can't remember much of it these days).

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the PDF link :)
I just came back after being out all day and *most* of the smell is gone, however I think my T is gonna stay in another room for tonight.

The stuff was sprayed right on the bare mattress, THEN the bed was re-coverd with sheets/blankets. Unlikely that my T would ever crawl on the bare mattress, in the past I've let her crawl on the top blanket/cover. I just want to wait for most of the odour/fumes to dissipate. I know the worst case would be if this stuff was being sprayed while my T was still in that room.

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Reviving an old thread here, but this time its "Febreeze (Febreze) Allergen reducer.
Which is also supposed to kill dust mites, and is going on my bed mattress. I kinda think its probably the same stuff, but Im not totally sure.

The concern again would be if theres "lingering fumes", the T's not gonna get blasted with it, but I am worried about the fumes, like what should I do this time?
There are fans in my room that would disperse the vapours provided the door to my room is left open. I have heard that putting a towel over the T's cage would work to prevent any "mist" from landing in there, but dont know for sure...

Whats your experience with this stuff?

Ive looked up a MSDS pdf and it says the active ingredient is 1-5% ethanol, but theres also a perfume in the finished product too...

link to pdf http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/msds/631297.pdf
The stuff is not in a compressed spray can, its one of those "trigger pump" types.

Im not sure what component would affect my T, So
Depending on just how much is let off in there (if mom really wants to "nuke" dustmites), I guess the best option is still to put the T in another room, the stuff isnt manufactured as a bug spray, but enough of it could still be bad news...

Last edited: