My First Beetle

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
We were invited over for dinner at a friend's home last night and since I've been spending all my money on assorted arthropods lately, I had no money left over for a babysitter, so I brought my five year old whom we call "el diablo" :evil: along.

Everything was fine, but toward the end of the evening, "el diablo":evil: shouts out a bug! a bug! He has inherited my love for anything creepy crawly.;):cool::D I have not yet taught him the rules of etiquette, at least not the one that says you do not point out to the host and hostess um bugs in their home. I had just assumed it was a typical NYC roach. Turns out it was a BEETLE. They let me take it home.:D The hostess is fond of plants, especially orchids, so I'm assuming it hitchhiked its way in on one of those.

I put it in a plastic vial with soft rotten wood and leaf litter and it seemed to enjoy munching on the wood, until I threw in a piece of apple and then it said fugget about the wood and it hasn't left the apple since.

It's solid black in color and the back winged segment has a vertical lined pattern. It's less than 3/4 inch. Is there a site that I can id it against? It's my first beetle.