• Avic. Veriscolor

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Indian Ornimental

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Im broke right now, but I have contacted the dealer Jacen Beers mentioned. I really want a Avicularia Veriscolor, but I also want and Indian Ornimental (sorry I dont know the Avics commen name or the Indians sci. name).

I was wondering what I should get. Is the Indian harder to care for than the Veriscolor ? I know its more agressive, I would NEVER dream of handling it ! When I get some more work, I want to get one. The Ornimental is cheaper, and both are females, and big (I refuse to get slings). Is Veriscolor similar in looks to A.Avic ? Because if it is, Id rather get the Ornimental. Your imput would be most helpful.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
avicularia versicolor >> martinque pinktoe
indian ornamental >> poecilotheria regalis

I'd say to go with the versic, its reputedably more docile, and the poec is rumoured for a strong venom. Also versicolors seem a bit rarer on the market (or at least in England)

I'd also say, for the poec' get a s'ling - it'll be a decent size within 5 months. Mines reached 4.5" (and in premoult now) since october 2002 when it was 15mm

Hope this helps

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you want both of those spiders but can only choose one, go for the P. regalis. Versis have their charm and appeal, but there are few things quite so impressive looking as an adult pokie on the hunt.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Cool, thanks guys. I hope I can afford it soon ! Mom doesnt want me to get more cuz she thinks "what if you get married and your husband doesnt like them" and "you really dont have enough room for more." Well, if I get married to who Im hoping, he doesnt mind them. ;) And if its someone else, then tooo bad, tarantulas are included ! And second, I MADE more room. Besides, Im 24, I can take in another if I want, she doesnt have to care for them ! :D This dealer lives in Vancouver and Im hoping I can go pick it up (instead of getting it shipped). I just have to wait to see if thats ok.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I voted for the Pokie as well. You can look at your pokie everyday and still be blown away every time. The closer you look, the deeper and more amazing the patterns become.
Versi's are great T's, don't get me wrong but imo, few T's compare to the beauty of a pokie.

Atrax

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spider_savior
Im broke right now, but I have contacted the dealer Jacen Beers mentioned. I really want a Avicularia Veriscolor, but I also want and Indian Ornimental (sorry I dont know the Avics commen name or the Indians sci. name).

I was wondering what I should get. Is the Indian harder to care for than the Veriscolor ? I know its more agressive, I would NEVER dream of handling it ! When I get some more work, I want to get one. The Ornimental is cheaper, and both are females, and big (I refuse to get slings). Is Veriscolor similar in looks to A.Avic ? Because if it is, Id rather get the Ornimental. Your imput would be most helpful.
I wouldn't call the P.regalis aggressive. They are more likely to run and hide. They are shy, nervous, and very fast. These qualities make them a hands off dispaly animal. I would only get the regalis if you are comfortable working with speedy spiders who may have a medically significant bite. They are beautiful and would be my choice. If you see yourself freaking out when you need to move the regalis or service its tank, then it is not the spider for you. Versicolors are speedy too, but the potential for a bite are slim to none. They are a tame species and beautiful to boot. I don't think they look like A.avicularia.
Hope that helps,
Mike

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I voted A. versicolor because from your posts and avatars ( past and present) you just strike me as the " cute and cuddly" type. :)

John

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I voted for the Indian Ornamental....

but that is only because they are my favorite. I don't have one but I will someday, no matter what occurs, I will have one!!

I guess it depends more on what you want out of it. They are both strikingly beautiful so I guess it depends on whether you want to possibly handle it or if you want a little adventure whenever you go to feed and clean up it's terrarium.

Then again take into account that they all have their own personalities and your versicolor might be a mean SOB (although it wouldn't have the highly toxic venom) .

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Originally posted by JP version 1.0
I voted A. versicolor because from your posts and avatars ( past and present) you just strike me as the " cute and cuddly" type. :)

John
Aww, thanks. I am actually. But Im kind of leaning t'wards the Ornimental..... :8o

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
Take the P. regalis. They are simply amazing.

Besides, it's a black and white spider so you can name her Oreo...

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
One more vote for the P. regalis...
I've said it before, but regalis are probably my absolute favorites. You just can't go wrong with a nice, big female Poecilotheria.
Gorgeous spiders :)

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I also voted for the P. regalis, mine never fails to turn heads (when it comes out of hidding that is;) ). Mine has never shown one sign of aggression, having said that it is super fast. Heck I named it lighting bolt. What ever you chose I think you will be happy.

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have both, sitting here looking at them Id have to say the poke, seems more interesting to look at than the versi, from shape to color, it just seems better, but then again, I already have both, so its kind of easy for me to say that. But, either way, whichever you do get, once you have it, you know damn well your going to get the other as well, so.....go with the disease and ask the dealer if he/she can give you a deal on both.=D

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by deifiler
avicularia versicolor >> martinque pinktoe
indian ornamental >> poecilotheria regalis
Isn't it Antilles Pinktoe? If not, what is that?

As for the choice, since you only want adults, get the poke. I think you have to see the versicolor grow from spiderling to really appreciate it.

Bill

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Versicolor

I voted for the A. versicolor.

I'd recomend steering away from Pokies unless you're really experienced with the faster species. A lot of people panic when they see a spider as large as that charge out of the cage. With Pokies, you can't afford to panic. You'll need to keep your cool, get it back in the cage, and avoid getting bitten in the process.

A. versicolor are flighty, but not very dangerous. If it dashes out on you, it's okay to panic for a few seconds. Once you're used to a spider being flighty, then it's all good to go for a Pokie :) This is the perfect spider to give you the experience you need.

Good luck! Let us know what you get :)

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I'd also like to add that I've had both of these spiders in the past. I only still have one. It's certainly not the Pokie ;)

-Bryan

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I voted Pokie.

Pokies aren't anywhere near as aggressive as what some people make them out to be. I've had mine get up on it's back legs once or twice in a couple months -- and it takes quite a bit to get that unless you reach into their hide (if it decides to burrow.. I've seen a burrowed 6 incher attack tweasers. But once it got out, it was as calm as a G. Rosea.)

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheEternal
I'd also like to add that I've had both of these spiders in the past. I only still have one. It's certainly not the Pokie ;)

-Bryan
:confused: uh, what happened to the pokie ??