• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Nhandu chromatus

PINK1081

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Successful .....1000 or more

Several mating attempts were made in Jan 2006. They were very slow to get together and quick to seperate without inserts. Mid Feb I put the two tanks in a 24 inch X 36 inch reptile enclosure with sliding doors and left the cohabitat for 1 month. No one was killed, eaten or lost any legs.

Females tank had a clay pot with 4 inches of peat and vermiculite. I later added a flat rock leaned against front of clay pot hide.

My Tarantula room temperature is 80 to 85 days and 65 to 70 F nights, controlled by a programable thermostat.

Began making egg sac 10 May 2006. First mating Jan 5, last contact with male Mar 15. A good mother, not easly disturbed. She would bring egg sac out of burrow during the day and hang on the side of the tank, with the egg sack just off the soil. At night she would take into the burrow for the night.

Day 33 removed egg sac...not an easy job... she attacked the tools I was using, but I finally won. Opening the sac I discovered a sac full of tiny eggs with legs. Did not see one bad egg or any stuck together, not even one!!! Instead of the hemmock, I lined one of the cups on my mec mom, screwed the lid on and put on the shaft to be rotated. This is all inside the incubater tank Temp 80 to 85 F, Humidity 80 to 90%.

Gave the female the sac stuffed with cotton and she guarded it untill day 47.(2 days after 1st instar molt)

Day 43, eggs with legs began to turn gray and molted to 1st instar on day 45. All molted I do not see any bad ones. They are now hanging on the paper towl lined cup as it rotates. :eek: There are soooooo many of them.

Now just waiting for the next molt.

Jim

PINK1081

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
update

N. chromatus began 2nd instar molt on Sept 7...120 days from date sac was produced. Lost about 2/3's of slings during this molt?? I think the humidity was too low for the last few weeks??. As of Sept 22 there are still about 24 that have not molted to 2nd instar ( today Sept 25, about 1/2 of those have now molted...that is 138 days!! )

Seperated into viles Sept 16. Ended up with 325 slings.

First pinheads were fed on Sept 22. Each got two. Probably would have taken food a week or so sooner, but they were no worse for the delay.

Jim

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
My Nhandu chromatus breeding of 04-06-2008

This is my first Nhandu chromatus breeding and was excited to do it so here's the details......

Species:
Nhandu chromatus "Brazilian Red and White"

The T's:
Male: Anastasia, matured around 1-2 months ago.
Female: mine molted around 1-2 months ago.

Details:
The male & females enclosure were placed near each other. I had taken the lid off the enclosures. The male was placed into the females enclosure.

The female sensed him outside her flower pot hide and started drumming for him. The male then quickly went up to the female drumming/ twitching and lifted her right up. She let him lift her up and there were some insertions.

Once he was done, I held the female back and took him out for future breedings.

As typical breeding goes!

Breeding: Successful

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Female molted 7-28-2008
Mature Male was purchased from the boards.

I kept the male's enclosure on top of the female's enclosure. I tried breeding several times prior to being successful. The male drummed but the female always stayed motionless until the male got close and then she always attacked. This happened several weeks in a row. I tried once each week starting about 1 week after her molt. I tried breeding in the early morning and also in the evening with no success. The male drummed more easily in the early morning.

On 8-17-2008, at 2 pm, I noticed the male drumming in his enclosure. I checked the female. She was at the entrance of her burrow furiously drumming. I introduced the male and the female drummed vigorously and approached the male. Both palps were successfully inserted. The male quickly withdrew. The temperature was 75 degrees.

Curiously, my mm coloratovillosus was nearby and was also drumming. I have a larger female that also molted recently, but to date she has refused the male. I didn't take any pics.

Pestilence

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Date of Mating: Oct 8,2008
Date of Sac: Dec 15,2008
Number of successful inserts: 1

Female was paired up with 3 different males but only 1 had a successful mating. after a few months the female laid a sac. will get the sac after 30 days.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Success

Female molted 7-28-2008
Mature Male was purchased from the boards.

I kept the male's enclosure on top of the female's enclosure. I tried breeding several times prior to being successful. The male drummed but the female always stayed motionless until the male got close and then she always attacked. This happened several weeks in a row. I tried once each week starting about 1 week after her molt. I tried breeding in the early morning and also in the evening with no success. The male drummed more easily in the early morning.

On 8-17-2008, at 2 pm, I noticed the male drumming in his enclosure. I checked the female. She was at the entrance of her burrow furiously drumming. I introduced the male and the female drummed vigorously and approached the male. Both palps were successfully inserted. The male quickly withdrew. The temperature was 75 degrees.

Curiously, my mm coloratovillosus was nearby and was also drumming. I have a larger female that also molted recently, but to date she has refused the male. I didn't take any pics.
Female laid sac on December 9th, 2008 (53 days after breeding)
Female guarded sac faithfully, sealed in her burrow.
I removed the sac on Jan 3rd, 2009 to find hundreds of eggs with legs.
I'll incubate now until they molt again.

Pestilence

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Date of Mating: Oct 8,2008
Date of Sac: Dec 15,2008
Number of successful inserts: 1

Female was paired up with 3 different males but only 1 had a successful mating. after a few months the female laid a sac. will get the sac after 30 days.

took the sac at 30 days and here are the results:

macilacispiders

Arachnopeon
Mating: 23th June 2009.

Kokon laid: 21th Sept 2009.
Kokon opened: 28th Nov 2009. (L2)

Number of sling: around 1500

There were no bad eggs or died larvels.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FZc4AjQawQs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FZc4AjQawQs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Nhandu chromatus breed

Success

male taken to female!
Very big male! ive had a couple males and this one was double the size almost of others! He was bigger than the female by sum bit!
It then took 100 days of fatening her up, she then laid a egg sack!
She was about 3cm diameter abdomen! so she wasnt huge!
The sack was nicely made in the corner!
She kept the egg en the same corner untill i removed it at day 35!
I then opened the sack to incubate and saw alot more eggs with legs than expected!
92 days after sack was maid did spiderlings start molting into full spiders!
From the first spider to molt to the last it took 23 days! so from the day sack made to last spider molt was 115 days!
total good slings--1940!!! + 40 that never molted correctly!
Im sure this should be close to if not the record for this sp!?

I wonder if it has somthing to do with the large male!?

thanx

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Success

Female number: Nh_ch_9

Female's most recent molt: 29-Apr-10

Male number: Nh_ch_11

Male's ultimate molt: Spring 2010

First pairing: 11-May-10

Final pairing: 11-May-10

Total number of pairings: 1

Eggsac found: 18-Sep-10

Eggsac pulled: 14-Oct-10

Stage of slings when pulled: 1st Instars

2nd instar molt date: 5-Dec-10

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Female number: Nh_ch_12

Female's most recent molt:22-Jun-10

Total Molts Since Previous Eggsac: NA

Male number: Nh_ch_11

Male's ultimate molt: Spring 2010

First pairing: 10-Aug-10

Final pairing: 10-Aug-10

Total number of pairings: 1

Eggsac found: 13-Oct-10

Eggsac pulled: 6-Nov-10

Stage of slings when pulled: Eggs with Legs/Post Embryos

1st instar molt date: 13-Nov-10

2nd instar molt date: 1-Jan-11

captmarga

Arachnobaron
N Chromatus (My first successful breeding)

I've had Ts for 30 years but never thought of breeding until 2 years ago. This is my first ever successful sac (lost 2 previous to this one).

Male "Anton" picked up on CL, originally listed as a "large female". Hooks gave that away! No female, to went to Reclusa and purchased Female "Marianella".

Both acquired in August (he 8/8, she 8/10). Second pairing she ate him before I could separate them.

10/21 eggsac. 11/23/11 pulled eggsac... EWL stage.

Eggsac divided in two, placed in incubators. Temp in office between 70-80 degrees (low night/high day, humidity in Inky high!) Mom given a wad of tissue, which she carried around for 6 days before she decided it had no babies in it.

12/9 molted to 1st instar!

Temps dipping into 30s at night outside, too low in office (68-70 at night) so inky moved to home.
Three weeks at 75 degree constant.

Babies started to darken up, took an entire week before the first molted into 2nd instar on 2/24. Rest followed, 48+ hours and 90% were 2nd instars on 2/26.

423 in individual homes now!!! That's a lot of deli cups!

Total - 806 live slings, 224 known dead (EWL, failed to molt, died).

Thank you for ALL the knowledge here on the boards! You all helped me through this!

Marga

Marianella, the mom. Sorry, no good pic of daddy.

Eggs with Legs!

Little pink and yellow first instars. There was a good deal of size difference in the batch, from the very beginning. I've labeled some as "tiny" and "huge" to try and follow as they mature, just to see if it makes a difference and they are all-small-female or doesn't-matter-mixed-gender-size.

First signs they are getting ready to molt (it was still several days more!)

Majority have little dark butts, waiting, waiting! Inky is deli cups with coffee filters, suspended over water bath - then both inkies down in another tote with a low water level, set near the space heater. Rainforest!

The first one to molt to 2nd instar.

Sorting the teensy little babies out - cups, spoon, and a bunch of eyestrain!

A wanderer, 2nd instar. Today in sorting the last of the batch I had four or more at once using me for a jungle gym...

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Female: Nh_ch_13
Female's Most Recent Molt: 10-Mar-11
Male: Nh_ch_15
Male's Ultimate Molt Date: Unknown
First Pairing: 3-Aug-11
First Pairing: 3-Aug-11
Total Pairings: 1
Eggsac Found: 25-Oct-11
Eggsac Pulled: 17-Nov-11
Stage when pulled: Post embryos (eggs with legs)
First Instar Molt: 30-Nov-11
Second Instar Molt: 13-Jan-12

Mating:

With Eggsac:

2nd Instar:

---------- Post added 04-13-2012 at 12:01 AM ----------

Female: Nh_ch_9
Female Most Recent Molt: 2-Sep-11
Molts Since Last Eggsac: 1
First Pairing Date: 22-Sep-11
First Pairing Date: 22-Sep-11
Total Number of Pairings: 1
Male's Ultimate Molt Date: Unknown
Eggsac Found: 10-Dec-11
Eggsac Pulled: 2-Jan-12
Stage When Pulled: Post Embryos (Eggs With Legs)
Fist Instar Molt: 17-Jan-12
2nd Instar Molt: 6-Mar-12

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nhandu chromatus

Female: Nh_ch_12

Female's most recent molt date: 2-Jul-11

Number of molts since last eggsac: 1

First pairing: 10-Nov-11

Total pairings: 1