Ants + Scorpion = No Good

Dreadwraven

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thought I'd share a story that occured two weeks ago. I apologize in advance because I know now that there are many things that I could have done to prevent it, but, as these things go, it is easy to get lax and slip into a groove that works up until the point that it ceases to work.

I've been scorpion sitting a buddy's emperor for the last 5 months while he's been in Poland. The little emperor had been in premolt for a long time and we were both looking forward to seeing him in all of his molted glory. Finally he molted and was beautiful. The claws finally caught up with the body and he just looked right. Before the molt he was about and inch and a half, afterward, about 2 1/4.

About 4 days went by and I decided to offer him some food. He never took live food before and I thought I better not stress him out incase it was still too soon, so I gave him a dead meal worm.

THE NEXT DAY, ants raided. Nasty little fire ants poured from underneath the wall like ninjas and made a straight line for his cage. When we found him, it was too late. The meal worm was gone and little was left of the scorpion. The must have picked up the sent of the dead mealworm and found the scorpion as well.

Needless to say, I feel aweful and I'm not looking forward to breaking the news. We sprayed for ants the following day and have since set antraps in our pet room where we have 6 tarantulas, a pacman and a beardie.

Guess I learned the hardway and I hope that you can learn from my mistake.

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeh, i had a massive invasion last year, they came from the foundation of the house itself, due to several cracks. what i did was i sprayed a rag with long lasting bug spray and wiped it on the stand legs of my cagestands, without actually spraying the room, and when ants attack, i always cover my critters cages with plexiglass lids until the ants are driven out. i havent lost a single animal yet, and i also put down poisons in the yard and spray every single entrance to the house, big and small. just take care not to spray your animals room too much.

cashewman1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just, JUST recently had an ant attack on my Emperor tank as well. I got them out as quick as possible and totally washed out the terrarium. But one thign i dotn understand is how ants could kill a scorpion? i understand if it was just post molt then ok but if it has a hardened exo skel, other than crawling into the crevaces even a juvie scorp could do some damage couldnt they?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
seeing how ants work in unison and the exoskeleton doesn't exactly provide full protection to the scorpion, a swarm of ants would have no problem taking out a scorp.

Just remember the only difference between an annoyance and a threat is numbers

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am sooo sorry! Luckily all I have are the little tiny tiny ants,and they dont raid my house.Course I have baits for them and keep it up.