Dangerous?

hyena65

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are some companies giving freebies if you purchase one T. One freebie is Brazilian Salmon (L. parahybana, and N. Chromatus) Brazilian Red & White. Aren't these dangerous if you are a begginer?:?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not really.

No tarantula is really "dangerous" at all. I'd say you're far more dangerous to it than it could ever be to you. ;)

Yes, they are a bit fiestier than some typical beginner's species, but they aren't bad for beginner's, especially raising them from spiderlings.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Well, L. parahybana aren't EXTREMELY aggressive. But like the N. chromatus, if you got a 1/4"er, by the time it's grown up, you'd probably be quite experienced.:wall: lol..

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
There is no danger because the freebie is always a small sling. So there is no risk of biting and virtually none from urticating hairs. Also you will see grow and become familiar with its behavior, speed and level of defensiveness. So no real risk and good learning experience. (if anything the sling is in bigger danger from a newbie not knowing how to take of it).

Also the only real danger of L.parahybana are the urticating hairs where it doesn't really matter if you are a newbie or an expert. and N.chromatus are just skittish as opposed to aggressive so as long as you don't try to handle it, it poses little risk.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A para sling? Dangerous? HAH. :D My first tarantulas (this January) were an order of one 2.5" GBB, a teeny 1/2" (if that) L. parahybana, and a freebie G. aureostriata. The para did some dumb things like go out of its way to encourage mold growth in enclosures, or bury itself and refuse food for a month and a half, but it's over an inch now and doing great.

Plenty of people rec parahybana as a good starter species, so long as you don't try to hold it. I think I agree with them.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No tarantula is really "dangerous" at all.
That's a huge discussion that I don't want to get into right now, but to make a blanket statement, no New World tarantula is dangerous, aside from the problem of the hairs ( could damage eyes--mostly if you are very careless--, but in any case not threat to life ). NW T bites are pretty much insignificant.

Now, whether those species are advisable for a beginner is another question entirely, one which you will have to decide for yourself. L.parahybana is huge, stand-offish, and a hair thrower, Nhandus are pretty similar, but more manageable due to their size. If you can be careful with them, refrain from handling, and don't have a problem with a large, active, and defensive T, then go right ahead, they are great spiders. But be advised, their size belies their speed, and the hair WILL fly! I keep an N.coloratovillosus, and I'm having a blast with it, it's such a wonderful species. BUT--it readily bites, flicks, and runs all over the place when the least bit bothered ( which doesn't take much to do! ). If you are comfortable with that idea, then you are in for one awesome and enjoyable spider!

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I found my chromatus to be pretty cool, aside from him running around on my back, shoulders and arm, and giving me theat poses when he likes, they are very cool tarantulas:D

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(L. parahybana, and N. Chromatus) ya know I really dont think Id worry that much about how dangerous these are for a begginer. I would start of with at least a .75" or at least a .5 because smaller then that tend to die a little easyer. L. parahybana was one of the first Ts I had after my first which was a G. rosea. I dont think I would hold these two anyways though. if you really need to hold a T get yourself a nice avic avic.

I also think Thoth is right by the time they reach a size that they might be dangerous then you should be fine.
scott

Last edited:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i wouldnt say no newworld tarantula is dangerous.t.bonde is newworld and i wouldnt go sticking my hands in his face haha.nw venom is alot tamer tho.
but i would say at sling sizes those spiders shouldnt be a problem.when they get big they could be very agressive tho.my l.parybana is a psycho.i cant even take her water dish out without her attacking the tongs and throwing threat displays lol.its kinda funny but as long as u respect them u dont have anything to worry about

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
None are dangerous unless you're a cricket or roach

hyena65

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the info, I had read that the fangs was so long, that the Tcould do real damage if bitten. I just thought that was a bit much for a begginer. I have a A. versicolor (that just molted!) and a G. pulchra. But I have had them only a couple of weeks. Now I am in the process of buying a B. auratum. One company offered one of these free, and I was not sure if I was ready yet. Thanks for the info.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hyena65 said:
Thanks for the info, I had read that the fangs was so long, that the Tcould do real damage if bitten.
Well, yeah...after a couple years of growing. {D By then, your experience has grown alongside the animal, and there should be no problem.

Easyout58

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yep, what they said....

I got mine as a freebie as well and it's now one of my favorites. And it's very satisfying to start with something so small and raise it to something bigger than your hand. :D

mikeythefireman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I jumped in to Ts with both feet by getting 5 L. para 1-2cm slings. I haven't had them long enough to make any sort of statement beyond the obvious ones already mentioned. They do bite, though. Day one I got bit when I was checking the packing material for my missing sling. Found her!

The general consensus when I researched which T to start with was that if you're borderline competent and reasonably cautious, you should be fine with the L. para. I think (just my humble opinion based off research and nothing more:? ) that respecting your Ts and their inherent predatory natures is the best way to avoid any "danger" presented.

I'm not sure I'd want my first T to be a 10" L. para, though.:evil: :D

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The para did some dumb things like go out of its way to encourage mold growth in enclosures
Don't you mean *you* did some dumb things....seeing as how it's impossible for a spider to "encourage" mold growth.{D

As far as those species being "dangerous" ditto what everyone else said.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
metzgerzoo said:
Don't you mean *you* did some dumb things....seeing as how it's impossible for a spider to "encourage" mold growth.{D
Nope, the T did. It was BIZARRE. {D It would randomly web food into the dirt near the burrow entrance...which was also webbed solid to the entire burrow, so I couldn't clean it up without ripping the whole little tunnel up and having a spazzy sling freak out and jump out of the container. Or it would take it INSIDE the burrow and sit on top of it until it started molding. Not because it was full for pre-molt, because it would eat like a pig just a couple days later when I offered again.

It was even worse when I had it in a vial, because there was even less room for me to try to maneuver and clean up. I ended up putting a 1/2" L. parahybana sling in a deli cup that was WAY too big for it, hehe. But it worked out because para slings are pet holes, so I always knew where it was...and he's growing into it now! :D

hyena65

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
O.K. It's a done deal, I ordered a Brackypelma auratum, and a Brazilian Salmon Pink. Wish me luck! I will now be up to 4 T's.