another premolt Q

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have a rosie sling about 1" and i know if the abdomen turns black then it is about to molt... but its abdomen has always been black but now the carapace and legs... well basically everything has gotten a bit darker... is this the same as an abdomen darkening or just part of growing up?

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well i just stuck a cricket in there a couple hours ago and i think its gone unless its hiding in the substrate somewhere

Skypainter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If I were you I would get that cricket out as soon as possible. If your spider is changing color, it is definitely going into premolt. If the cricket is in there while it molts the cricket will kill it.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
is this the little sling i sent you?

that thing refuses food forever before a molt.. ;P

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well i cant see the cricket so im assuming it got eaten... and yes its the same rosie :D :D

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
UH OH!.... just as i went to go check if the cricket is still there the rosie was leaning on teh wall... so i turned the enclosure to see if the cricket was somewhere else and the rosie just fell on its back... but there is no cricket there... would it of eaten right before its molt?

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok it has completed molting and still no sign of cricket?... anyone heard of a sling eating a few hours before molting?

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sometimes slings will eat before a molt. Also the rosie might have killed the cricket and not have eaten it, in which case you have to watch out for fruit flys. Also, not all crickets are attack, killer crickets. Just keep an eye on her, it seems like you do already, and congratulations on the molt!

gagamboy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
at least your tarantula kills crickets before a molt (if he did indeed kill it)... mine are dead scared of crickets during premolts...