Thinking of getting a myriapod

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
what is a good beginner centi or mili. im really new at this so whats the difference, what would i need and where do i go about getting one.

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can search through the forum for more information, but basically:

Millipedes eat fruit, dead leaves, and rotting wood. You will need to feed them all 3 to keep them happy. Most species need you to keep their soil moist and keep the temps between 70F and around 80F. They secrete a liquid when afraid that can harm smaller animals, but has no effect on humans.
They are getting harder to find because of various laws.

Centipedes eat insects and small animals. They are venomous and from what I have read, they have a painful bite. I don't own any, but I know that you can buy them from online dealers and at pet shows.

Kasha

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Millipedes in my opinion are slightly easier to keep, but keep in mind I have never had a centipede. Millipedes just do not require live/dead prey.
African Giant Blacks are pretty common and since they are larger they tend not to become dehydrated as quickly as a smaller one and seem to be pretty darn sturdy. My toddler who is now 3, has handled them often and they seem to enjoy her attention. And anything that can withstand the less the perfectly gentle handling of a child is sturdy as far as I am concerned. They seem to be more tolerant of being handled as well, and I have as yet to have one secrete on me. But I have only had experience with 4 different species.

ShadowSpectrum

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kasha said:
Millipedes in my opinion are slightly easier to keep, but keep in mind I have never had a centipede. Millipedes just do not require live/dead prey.
Hmm...I would have to disagree. Most people that are going to get a centipede probably already have other insectivorous animals such as tarantulas, scorpions, possibly a reptile, and they are already buying/breeding feeders. Millipedes have a stricter diet and it may be hard for some people to get rotten wood, pesticide-free leaves, etc. The advantage millipedes have is that they aren't rabid pitbulls on PCP like centipedes can be (exaggeration, I know...) so they are probably easier to deal with, and like you said can be handled.

Kasha

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I still think millipedes are easier (for a newbie) than something venomous, but again, I have never had a centipede and the only info I know is what is on the boards. But I was under the impression that their environmental needs are just as specific as a millipedes. I think it just depends on the person. Centipede people see the centi as easier and milli people see that in the millis.
I guess it just boils down to which one you want. Once you decide I think then you can choose one of the hardier/easier species to get as your first.
We have alot of very wise and experienced keepers and breeders of both millipedes and centipedes that can advise you on best species and set ups.
Good luck in choosing your first! YAY!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
an African Giant Black millipede is probably one of the easiest invert pets to keep, of all the relatively common things i have tried. they are much more resistant to dessiction than any centipede and don't really have that strict of dietary requirements, apparently, if you are not trying to breed them and buy a decent sized adult.

the AGB seems to have a wider range of temperature tolerance than most of the centipedes i have kept, also

AGBs come i a range of temperments though. i have had some that do not mind handling at all, and others that would stay balled up for hours at the slightest disturbance, oozing defensive secretions pretty prodigiously on me if i had the audacity to pick it up.

also, sexing millipedes is generally easier than all but a few species of centipedes

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well i think for me a centipede would be easier because i already have feeders and for me finding rotten wood might be a problem. I had a bunch that I threw away just this morning in my backyard. Okay well now that my minds is set whats a good beginneer centipede?

Kasha

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Damn, lost another one to the centis! Good luck and post pics when you get one!

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh i would wanna get a milli to but right now a cento would be easier for me to keep preferably a tropical one

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
IMO, millies are much easier to keep.

Millies:

1. no worries of bites/hospital trips.
2. no feeding crickets
3. Less chance of escapes
4. Easy to handle

Centipedes:

1. extremely fast
2. require crickets and/or roaches for food
3. Much more prone to escape
4. Not reccomended for handling
5. chance of a bite, and maybe a trip to the hospital

These are just good and bad things, im a centi guy, awesome lil critters, but not half as easy to care for as millies:) Abyss, maybe a centipede is the right pet for you:)

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scorp lver.....wouldnt you have the same problem with Scorps. I already have three scorps, a lizard, and a frog. so im use to having those fun to look at even "funer" to touch if you want to get bitten animal.