T-rex Jungle bed

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is this stuff made from coconut? Is it good for ANY inverts at all? Is it more mould resistant than peat or potting soil? Is Is easy to pack down for burrowing? Will It stick to burrowing scorpions or tarantulas? Will It work for high humidity and low? Am I asking to many questions?

Edit: Im talking about stuff that comes in bags, as opposed to bricks.

Edit 2: How is it for mites?

stargell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never used it. I remember it being a combination of vermic., coconut fiber and some sort of sand. When I saw the sand as an ingredient I shyed away because I've read that sand can be dangerous to T's.

Juraki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It does appear to be mostly coconut, but there is bark of some sort in the mix, and the T-rex "calci-sand" is also in the mix, which is why I don't use it for my t's. That and it was a pain to pick the bark out of, although the bark is somewhat soft and spongey, so it may not be all that bad to leave in. I guess you could sift the sand out, but after all that it's a waste of money I think.

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that the "bark" is just coconut husk chunks. And how would the small amounts of sand (witch I haven't noticed) be hurtful to the animals? It seems to me that they would encounter this in their natual habitats.

Edit: Awnsers for the questions in the first post would still be appreceated.

Last edited:

gagamboy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that's what most of us here in the philippines use...

excellent for burrowers and perfect for holding moisture...

but the mites love them...:(

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As the poster just above pointed out, the mites (or whatever those little things were) seem to love this mixture. I've tried this before when on a quest for the "perfect" substrate material for my Ts & found that it was a perfect substrate for MITES & have never used it since. I had even experimented by just putting some in a plastic container & never introduced a T or cricket or anything & within a couple of weeks had some very unwelcome tiny little critters in the enclosure. :(

Beth

Dreadwraven

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use the 'bed-a-beast' brand. All of the different brands seem pretty comprable, this is just the one that I come across most often for the cheapest price. This is the only stuff I've ever used and I've never had a problem with mites, however, I will take note of everyone elses experience and be sure to keep an extra careful eye out.

With that said, I like the stuff, I think it looks neat, the tarantulas have never complained to me about it, or shown any signs that they dislike it, so I'm gonna stick with it. I have surface dwellers, burrowers and arboreals and its worked fine for all of them.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
I used for my ts when I first started, without any problems. The chunks are pieces of coconut husk.

The little bit of sand in there is a non-issue. Straight sand is a no go.

It works well for dry and humid conditions. It'll hold a burrow.

I have never had a mite problem so I don't know. That and no mold but but speople state that coconut coir is mold resistant.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I believe bed-a-beast is like eco-earth, correct? whatever it is, and whatever brand (forest bed, eco earth, bed-a-beast) it is, if it comes in an expandable brick, i use it, ive used many different brands, all with great success (i actually preefer forest floor) it holds burrows, and has enough to change a container several different times, i use that or peat for all my inverts, never a problem.

gagamboy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
from my experience... anything with coconut attracts mites... but maybe its just relative to the climate...

Scarp172

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used the bagged stuff for my G.Rosea...for week. Then it tarted to mold like crazy. It was kept dry too. Didn't have it in long enough to get mites, but I'm sure it wouldn't be pretty. The brick stuff did the same with me as well. I'd just stick to standard peat or soil, much cheaper and none of the above problems with proper care.