Quick poll! Opinions needed!

secretstash187

Arachnopeon
How many out there use False Bottoms for there tarantulas???

How many out there feel that it is not needed?

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have never really heard of anyone using a false bottom for a T. I know a lot of scorpion keepers use them, I have a false bottom setup in my Imperator tank and all it's ever given me is a mold problem. I won't use one again, I don't see what benefits it gives that couldn't be reaped by simply misting the enclosure.

It does keep the humidity quite high in the tank, so it serves its purpose, I have just found them to be a pain in the butt to maintain.

stargell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nobody has said what a "false bottom" is? DOes this refer to some sort of substrate? Thanks.

Sobrino

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Huh!!!???

ok im an idiot! wait is it like photoshopping something in??? :confused:

ghost6303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i dont get it either... a fake ass? i have a feeling thats a joke but i have no idea what it realy is

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The only thing I can think of is like in a bird cage, for example. They have a wire grate that sits a few inches above the actual bottom of the cage, so all the waste and dropped seed falls through. :?

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only time ive heard of false botoms being used is in Dendrobates and other dart frogs, no T need it that humid and Damp

Bryan91901

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use it in my scorpions enclosure and it helps keep the humidty up a lot.. i only have to mist about once a week or so..sometimes even less than that... the trick with not getting it to mold is putting the right amount of water every few weeks..put too much and the substrate will be overly moist causing the mold to come.. thats what happened to me so now I just reduce the amount of water I put inside the false bottom and presto..humidty problem solved.. (I dont have a T, but will have one soon!!) although from reading the boards it seems as if you dont need a false bottom all that much since T's apparently dont like wet substrate..so yeah, just go with a large water dish, maybe even two water dishes, and mist more often or pour water into one corner of the tank and I think that would be your best bet...