moth-like insect

thisgal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I found a weird bug in a garage today. It was nearly dead...

The thing is about 2 inches long. It looks like a GIANT mayfly, kind of. Its antennae are feathery, like a moth's, and it has the dusty stuff on its wings also. Oh, and it has JAWS. Okay, not jaws, but pinchers. I think maybe it was bitten by a spider, and that's why it's acting so neurologically retarded, because I'm sure it should have been able to chew through the paper bag I put it in with those fangs!

It has a long "neck." When I say "neck" I mean the segment between the head and where the wings are attached. It's definitely nocturnal, attracted to the lights that were left on in the garage the night before. The wings are translucent, with a few black veins and some kind of spotty black on brown pattern, and the whole insect is a grayish brown color. Looking at just the last part of the abdomen, behind the legs, it reminds me of looking at a mealworm.

Oh, and I live in West Virginia. What in the world is this thing?!:? :wall:

thisgal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
AHA! That's it! This one's a female... I have never seen one before!

Thanks for the help, guys!

Oh, and Evil Cheshire; In response to your signature regarding suicidal people: because once you pass out from holding your breath, the body's automated response is to breathe...!

Last edited:

BurrowDweller

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dobson flies are very cool. If you like the looks of the adult you should see what the aquatic larva look like. They are called hellgramites and once you see one you will know why! Cool critters!

thisgal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yuck. I like the fact that they're used for fishing. I only liked the photos showing them speared on fishhooks...:D